Aspiration Signs and Symptoms?

Gemsbok

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 6, 2015
So after a trip to the vet, my 12 week old pullet is on two different liquid medicines, which I have to administer a total of four times per day (.04-1ml per dose, depending on the medicine). Despite looking at diagrams and being taught how by the vet, horror stories of syringe medication drowning birds have got me extremely paranoid. I've even taken to putting my ear right on her back to try and listen for something out of the ordinary after I give her the meds. Are there any signs of liquid aspiration to look out for? Would it be possible to accidentally get the liquid in her trachea and she just would not react to it at all? Any sounds to be aware of in her breathing? Or is it just immediate death or eventual pneumonia, without warning?

While I can understand the worry, as long as you take it slow giving the medications you most likely will not have an issue. when a chicken aspirates water or medication it is generally pretty obvious as they will cough and sneeze and gurgle. If you put your head against the chest you will most likely be able to hear rattling in the case of aspiration. How much is aspirated depends on whether it ends in pneumonia or almost immediate death.

Best advice is to take it slow. A drop at a time and don't rush the bird. I've never had a problem unless I try to rush

So after a trip to the vet, my 12 week old pullet is on two different liquid medicines, which I have to administer a total of four times per day (.04-1ml per dose, depending on the medicine). Despite looking at diagrams and being taught how by the vet, horror stories of syringe medication drowning birds have got me extremely paranoid. I've even taken to putting my ear right on her back to try and listen for something out of the ordinary after I give her the meds. Are there any signs of liquid aspiration to look out for? Would it be possible to accidentally get the liquid in her trachea and she just would not react to it at all? Any sounds to be aware of in her breathing? Or is it just immediate death or eventual pneumonia, without warning?
@Gemsbok , if she aspirates any you will know right away and she will start open mouth breathing and you might hear rales. What medications are you giving?

How to give Oral Medications

Oral Dosing by @new 2 pfowl

• How do I know if I should be administering medication orally?

This depends upon various factors, such as what the medication is and how ill your bird is. In general, keep in mind that oral dosing is often the best way to control dosage and to ensure that your bird actually receives this dosage.

• What tools do I need to dose orally? Where do I get them?

You will need a small oral medication (needleless) syringe, suggested size 1 ml/cc, depending upon the dose being administered. They can be easily obtained online (for example, search for “oral medication syringe” on Amazon).

• How do I do it, anyways?

You will need a helper to ensure the safety and proper medication of your bird.

1. Have your medication measures and the syringe prepared before taking any action.
2. Catch and restrain the bird.
3. Have your helper gently pry the bird’s beak open.

4. Be sure that you understand where the medication-filled syringe should be inserted.
The opening in the center at the back of the tongue is the trachea – nothing should ever go in there!

5. Gently insert the syringe alongside the tongue (bird's right side), and inject the medication slowly to ensure that it does not spill over into the trachea.

Crop feeding videos

These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses and instructions! I'm giving her .4ml loxicom once daily for a swollen/injured hock, and a pill of clindamycin crushed with a small amount of water 3 times a day to keep infection at bay, since she scratched up her wing pretty bad with her nails. Im very happy to hear that it'd be obvious, that puts me a bit more at ease that I wont find her dead hours later because I had no idea she had inhaled water, and that I've been doing it correctly.

Thank you for the responses and instructions!  I'm giving her .4ml loxicom once daily for a swollen/injured hock, and a pill of clindamycin crushed with a small amount of water 3 times a day to keep infection at bay, since she scratched up her wing pretty bad with her nails.  Im very happy to hear that it'd be obvious, that puts me a bit more at ease that I wont find her dead hours later because I had no idea she had inhaled water, and that I've been doing it correctly.  

Even if she did aspirate a little of the medication I think she would be fine. :D Hope she gets better. :fl

-Kathy

I just accidentally caused my chicken to aspirate some liquid meds. It was 1ml but not all went in. She moved last minute and I could tell I messed up. She coughed a little and I could hear it like a wet cough and she was really still like wth! Every time she bent over to get Sunflower seeds as a treat for taking meds she sounded more gurgley. But she was okay five minutes later. I had picked up immediately and put her upside down a few times. Not sure if that helped. But now I’m going to go listen to her with my ear on her chest. Now I’m freaked out.

I just accidentally caused my chicken to aspirate some liquid meds. It was 1ml but not all went in. She moved last minute and I could tell I messed up. She coughed a little and I could hear it like a wet cough and she was really still like wth! Every time she bent over to get Sunflower seeds as a treat for taking meds she sounded more gurgley. But she was okay five minutes later. I had picked up immediately and put her upside down a few times. Not sure if that helped. But now I’m going to go listen to her with my ear on her chest. Now I’m freaked out.
Is she ok?

Is she ok?
Yes, thank you for asking. She is fine. 🥰 She is my always-something-wrong girl. We are dealing with bumblefoot again. Everyone’s worms seem to be gone, at least no overload. I really think she was the only one with any in their manure even after medicating. After I treated her foot yesterday In my bathroom she sat in my lap dozing on and off for 15 minutes while I pet her. She’s never done that. It was adorable and I think she would have it for longer but I had to get up and put her back. I love those girls. Thank you again for asking.

Yes, thank you for asking. She is fine. 🥰 She is my always-something-wrong girl. We are dealing with bumblefoot again. Everyone’s worms seem to be gone, at least no overload. I really think she was the only one with any in their manure even after medicating. After I treated her foot yesterday In my bathroom she sat in my lap dozing on and off for 15 minutes while I pet her. She’s never done that. It was adorable and I think she would have it for longer but I had to get up and put her back. I love those girls. Thank you again for asking.
I accidentally just put 1.2 mg of liquid antibiotic in my girls trachea. She coughed and gurgled. She’s breathing now, will she be ok or should I take her to ER?

@Gemsbok , if she aspirates any you will know right away and she will start open mouth breathing and you might hear rales. What medications are you giving?

How to give Oral Medications

Oral Dosing by @new 2 pfowl

• How do I know if I should be administering medication orally?

This depends upon various factors, such as what the medication is and how ill your bird is. In general, keep in mind that oral dosing is often the best way to control dosage and to ensure that your bird actually receives this dosage.

• What tools do I need to dose orally? Where do I get them?

You will need a small oral medication (needleless) syringe, suggested size 1 ml/cc, depending upon the dose being administered. They can be easily obtained online (for example, search for “oral medication syringe” on Amazon).

• How do I do it, anyways?

You will need a helper to ensure the safety and proper medication of your bird.

1. Have your medication measures and the syringe prepared before taking any action.
2. Catch and restrain the bird.
3. Have your helper gently pry the bird’s beak open.

4. Be sure that you understand where the medication-filled syringe should be inserted.
The opening in the center at the back of the tongue is the trachea – nothing should ever go in there!

5. Gently insert the syringe alongside the tongue (bird's right side), and inject the medication slowly to ensure that it does not spill over into the trachea.

Crop feeding videos

These are using a crop needle, not a plastic tube.

-Kathy
THIS is exactly the information I have been trying to find!! I've been giving my chickens periodic liquids over the years and, as careful as I am, I inevitably miss sometimes. Breaks my heart when I do that and always freaks me out.

For years I've been wondering exactly what was meant by "the left side". My left, bird's left. I've also not been able to find pictures that clearly show exactly where the opening to the crop is compared to their trachea. Although, I was pretty clear that the trachea was in the middle. So, to be safe, I would put a couple of drops at the very front pointy end of the beak and let them swallow. But still had occasional issues.

Just this morning I messed up somehow while giving Nugget a 3ml dose of Epsom salt-water (a couple of drops at a time) and she is gurgling now. I'm devastated that I did this to her and I hope her lungs can clear up quickly. Your information will be a tremendous help moving forward. Thank you for posting it!

Back
Top Bottom