Aspiring chicken owner working out coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NJ777, Aug 13, 2011.

1. NJ777

NJ777 New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I'm getting ready to build my self a coop in the next couple weeks. I live in southern california and was wondering how critical it is to have the coop be fully enclosed. Considering the mild climate here I don't think it is necessary. Also I remember my grandparents coop when I was a kid. It was more of just a run with cover for rain and some nest boxes. Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

2. chicharomirinda

chicharomirinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Reno, NV
    I have seen others post on here with 3 sided coops in warmer climates. There are probably some in the coop design sections. I think with the importance of ventilation that would work very well in your climate.

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    How is the predator aspect? Dogs? raccoons? weasels? Need to make sure the chickens are safe while they are sleeping, cause they are pretty much dead to the world when it's dark. You might consider making the coop with mostly hardware cloth.

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    By the way, [​IMG]

5. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    I also live in so. Cal and just started building my second coop today. I live on a canyon and have alot of predators so my plan is to hard ware cloth the entire coop and run. I have done that with my first little coop and no issues other than they need more space now. I will hopefully figure out posting pics tomorrow and have some to share on the build. I am also new to this and a lot of helpful info already from the fellow members.

6. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Google open=air chicken coops and you will find a lot of information. Here is the link to a BYC thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=445004 . This is a beautiful open-air coop build on specs from a book written in the early 1900's. Amazing book and Amazing coop. I don't remember exactly, but when doing an open-air coop you need to make sure to make it wide enough, that the chickens can get back out of the rain and warm up a space with body heat.

It's my dream coop!! [​IMG]

3 sided coop is an excellent idea!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] Hi! I'm also in So. Cal. Assuming you're not in the mountains like myself, I'd say an open coop would be just fine. I'd make sure that your hardware cloth is small enough so that nothing can grab through it. Skunks, possums, foxes, hawks . . . there a lot of predators in the suburbs! It gets in the teens in the mountains, but inland you shouldn't get below freezing. [​IMG]

8. NJ777

NJ777 New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'm definetly going with hardware cloth. I know there are possums, racoons and hawks in my neighborhood so I need the security. Cold weather shouldn't be an issue. I'm more concerned about summer heat. Winter almost never drops below 30 at night and summers commonly are 90-100.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by