Assistance with these baby birds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Diamond88, May 17, 2016.

1. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Someone I know found these two baby birds in her well. Does anyone know what they are? She's in southeastern Colorado.

A few days previous, she'd found another one. She called a wildlife rehabber, and he told her to put it in a box with some water and wait for the mom. The poor little guy drowned, because the rehabber didn't tell her she needed to put pebbles in the water.

Now she's got these two guys in a box outside (with pebbles in the water), waiting for the mom to come around.

BUT, one of them appears to have a broken leg. She said he can barely walk. Obviously he'll need to go to the rehabilitator, right? I was just hoping someone here could help identify them and give any tips and advice on what she should do for them before someone has the chance to take him to the facility. If it gets dark, should she take them inside, even though the mommy may be out there?

I know that in some cases we should just let nature be nature. But, it's really tugging at her heartstrings seeing these poor babies suffer, right outside her window. I'm in another state, and it's tugging at mine too. Especially since the last one died, she'd really like to help these guys out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I'm honestly not sure what they are, but I thought in most cases if birds are out of the nest, then the mother isn't looking for them. I thought if they "fell" that, they die.

I hope this all turns out well for your friend. This would tug on my heart strings as well.

3. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Oh dear, I hope that's not the case! Especially because she said the wildlife rehabber told her he won't take them. Only larger birds and mammals. She doesn't have a vet or animal shelter nearby as she lives in a small farming community. I hope she can successfully reunite them with their mother!

Any advice anyone has would be appreciated! She is giving them mushed up cat food, but she's not sure if they've eaten it yet. Also, she did take them inside, because they were all wet and it's very cold in Colorado. She said she'll put them back outside tomorrow when the sun comes up. I hope the mom will come back then!

4. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I'm so sorry. :(

I saw that Tractor Supply had kitten and bird formula on the shelf today when I went. Maybe she could go and get some of that, and syringe feed it to them?
    I think the main thing is to keep them warm, dry, and eating.

Has she done any research on Google for how to take care of baby birds?

5. DyingPhoenix

DyingPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Dewitt, IL
    Those look like starlings to me! Even if a rehabber accepted birds, they won't take starlings or sparrows since they are invasive. That's how it is in my area, anyway.

Because of this, it's also legal to keep them. Starlings make great pets, you can find many videos of pet starlings on youtube. :)

At that age, water soaked cat or dog food would do them well. Starlings need a high protein diet because they feed mainly on insects.

If it were me, I'd see if mom and dad came back, put them outside and watch them. They are a tad early to be out of the nest but can survive at that age. If not, you may need to forcefeed them a few pieces of soaked cat or dog food kibble but they quickly understand you=food and become greedy little things.

I've raised a few. Pry open the beak gently and stuff a small piece in. You may have to make a few attempts and perhaps hold the beak closed gently so they can't fling it right back out. It sounds terrible, I know, but like I said, they learn very fast.

They don't need the gruel type feed consistency. At that age you will see parent birds stuffing whole crickets or other insects into their open beaks. Soaked whole kibble will be good for them and give them needed water in one swoop.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Starlings. Can make good pets. Rearing from their current stage easy but for quality rearing will conflict day job for about 2 weeks.

7. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks so much! Yes, as she and I both looked at photos, we think they are probably starlings. So sad that a wildlife rehabber won't take them! She brought them inside for the night and is leaving them with a bowl of smushed cat food. I'll advise her to pick up a syringe from the drug store. I told her to give them food and a water dish (with lots of pebbles) and to put a towel over the top so it's dark and cozy. She'll put the box back outside tomorrow once the weather is good.

Now, are you saying that if a wildlife rehabilitation center won't take them in, and if their mom doesn't come back, that it's legal for her to keep them as pets? Or to rehome them, if need be? I just want to prepare her for the possibility of the mom not coming back, and her needing to claim responsibility for these birds.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Starlings. They are an invasive species. Wildlife rehab centers will euthanize if brought to them. They push out native bird species and will even seek out and kill native bird species chicks.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Rehabbers may not take and may even kill them in sight. Such has no significant impact on Starling abundance. You still have a significant learning opportunity.

I would feed chicks with particulate prey items at first. Apply by hand. They are past the imprinting stage so you may need to either force feed at first by gently prying open bill or if they open mouth as an antipredator response drop food items in then. They will learn relatively fast although they will loose weight during process.

10. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Starlings are part of the myna bird family. You can buy myna bird pellets at the pet store. At one time I thought about getting a baby starling so did some research on them. The main reason a wildlife rehab person will not take a starling is that they are not native to the US. Many years ago a Shakespeare fan decided to import all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare plays to the US. He imported several pair of starlings. They bred fast and are now found everywhere. Starlings have taken over the territory of many native species of birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by