Assisted chicken in need of further assistance...crop issue...wobbly legs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Purpletie3, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Purpletie3

Purpletie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    So, my little guy who was born friday has some wobbly legs. Was a total assist. Also, my first chick and only chick that hatched. He gets around great and it presents no issues. Is this like a baby learning to walk or maybe an issue? He was on cedar shvings but I removed them for what is the second issue...

One side of the chest is puffed up like arnold schwarzeneger...the other like pee wee herman. I read on here something about crop...the little guy was pecking at the shavings. So, I cleared the tank of the shavings & his stuffed animal and put in cardboard instead...took away the food and felt for a bump....yup...little bump there. Pretty solid bump. I massaged it and left it with water only. Still chirping and pooping away.

What should I be doing with my 3 day old chick to help it get the best shot here....?????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He needs a non-slip surface. the pine shavings are fine, but cover them with paper towel for the first week until he knows what his food looks like. He may have a normal crop--they tend to look full in chicks. Adding some SavAChick electrolytes and vitamins to his water for 2 days may perk him up. Here is a link about chicks and leg problems: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Thanks. He is on cardboard...is that non-slip enough or should I be looking for something else? I have some save a chick...I will use that. I had given him an fried egg yolk earlier in the day for vitamins before researching the throat issue.

I am going to check on that link now.

4. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    What does a normal crop feel like? This kinda feels like a hard pea.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A normal crop feels soft, but you may actually be feeling the chick crumbles. An impacted crop feels hard and doesn't go down. Cardboard seems too slick. I always use the pine shavings with paper towel or just a couple of layers of paper towel and change them often. If the crop is a concern, I would try dipping his beak into water often and massaging his crop a little.

6. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Thanks, I put a 100 % cotton baking cloth over the top of the cardboard. It seems to be working well. He can't eat it and it gives him some traction. I took away his stuffed animal so he won't pick it's fuzz or jump off it.

The little pea is still there this morning. I have been putting some oilve oil on his beak and giving him water and electrolyte solution. I tried yogurt and only had greek yogurt and it wasn't interested in it. Oatmeal is too big for him. I am thinking I need to make it some applesauce or even a runny egg yolk???. I just don't know what the best nutrition for this 4 day old chick is.

We were pulverizing the crumble for it anyhow but are not giving it any of that. After reflection I realize it was eating cedar shavings and fuzz from the stuffed animal...that's where I think the issue wound up.

I am going to continue with massage, oil and soft liquid food. Anything else I should be doing?

I am a retired gal with nothing but time to dote to this little guy.

7. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Boil up a couple of hard boiled eggs. Don't give them all at once obviously, but give her one today. It might help. I had a lethargic 2 day old chick and Meyer Hatchery told me to try the egg. She ate as much as she wanted, and 24hrs later was doing really well. Now any time I set a boiled egg in the brooder, the girls are stepping on each other to get to it. The little girl who I nearly lost usually stands in the bowl trying to claim it all for herself! [​IMG]
    Definitely use electrolytes in the water, and maybe some ACV to prevent pasty butt. I had one with pasty butt I caught almost immediately. Used ACV in water ever since and not one issue.

8. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Okay, boiled egg yolk coming up! What is ACV?

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Apple cider vinegar. The natural one with mother in it. You should be able to find it in the organic section.

10. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    I am loaded with Braggs... thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by