Assisted hatch advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sawilliams, May 6, 2019.

1. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    So I have a seabright that went broody. I gave her 2 normal size eggs as I don't have a small rooster. At 14-16 days (i didn't date the eggs) the larger of the 2 was nearly half air but still moving. Last night the smaller of the 2 which was a darker shell hatched. I couldn't see movement in the larger so i broke a small hole in the air sac end to check for movement. The was movement, but still only filling 1/2 the egg, so I put it back.

This morning i broke more shell off, I could still see some movement but no internal pip, could not determine where te head was. So I've been working slowly all day (it's 530 PM now) I have removed over half the shell (not the membrane) and have kept it with mom except when checking it. I'm glad I have gone as far as I have. The chick finally made its internal pip and it is upside down. I think I confirmed the pip around 3 PM. I'm not fussing about shrink wrap yet as mom is still sitting, and there is still movement, and have moved water and food for the one already hatched. I am worried as of this last check im not sure if the chick is resting or getting weak? I would need to wet the membrane to check for circulation. At least I can see the beak now and is still breathing. Hope long should I wait? I'm worried about overnight mostly. Should I make sure its fully hatched tonight or just try to hold off till morning to do its thing? I'm usually up till about 10 so I still have plenty of time to check on it.

2. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Now I need help. Checked the egg again it's starting to shrink wrap so we covered it best we could with coconut oil and I cut back the top to open it up. The chick is still in the shell. I want to leave it with mama but I'm afraid it needs more help then I can give it down in the coop. Yes i have an incubator if needed. There is a little blood inside the membrane but it looks like residue and i didn't see any veins, it's just the reddish tinted that is sometimes left in the shells after. I also did not see a yoke sac but it could have been hidden under the chick still. I just think becuase the chick is so much smaller then the egg it cant get a grip on anything to push properly. I'll check it again in about an hour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: