Assisted hatch advise welcome.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ahchick1, Feb 5, 2015.

1. ahchick1

ahchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Duvall
    3 days ago I was given 5 bantam eggs that had been under a broody hen for an unknown amount of time (could have been a day, or weeks). Before putting them in the incubator on Sunday I quickly candled them and they seemed developed to different stages. some more in the 12-14 day range and 2 others much closer to 18 (1 was super dark). The most developed one started rocking the egg 2 nights ago. Last night I smelled something off so checked each egg and sure enough one stank (one of the lesser developed ones) so I threw it out. In the meantime, the most developed one cheeped at me as I was examining it. Which means as I understand it its internally pipped. Despite some effort on its part, 24+ hrs later it hadn't externally pipped. So after much debating and reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching a couple times, tonight I decided to try to gently but quickly externally pip a hole in the air sac area to help out. And I managed to get a little hole chipped away... I think not directly above its beak but more at the edge of its beak and put it back in the bator. It cheeped a little through the process and now seems to be resting. Humidity is in the 70-80% range, and temp around 99+. My plan is to give it 24 hrs to start pipping before I consider any additional help... does that sound about right? I'm really not counting on any of these eggs to make it with such an unknown and a bit unfair start. But darn it when they get to the chirping stage you can't help but start pulling for them. I'm totally new to incubating so advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. TOOCLOSE

TOOCLOSE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    I'm not into the hatching of babies. But I do know when I had my silkie babies hatching. I'd help peel away a small area where the beak was pecking. It helped them to come on out hours later.

Do not let the egg or chick get dried out though. Eggs under a momma stayed moist.

Hopefully someone will come along soon to help you out more!

TC

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

hi

as you dont know how old they are, its a tough call. I would wait 24 hours before going in.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Hi! Sounds to me like you have a good idea of what you are doing. The only time I will make a pip hole is if I've heard chirping and it's been 24 hours with no external pip. So, I'm right with you there. I too would wait 24 hours before further assisting, then I would only remove a bit more of the shell to expand the hole over the head/face and return the egg and give it some more time. This is how I assisted with my malepositioned pipper last hatch. It took a while before she could free herself and I had assisted about 3-4 times, each time breaking a bit more shell increasing the hole size until she could reposition herself to push and kick out. She's now a healthy strong, 13 week pullet.
    The assisted hatch article you read is great. Your humidity is great, I'd say with you on it's side it has a good chance of making it into the world. Good luck!

5. ahchick1

ahchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Duvall
    Thanks for the input. Last night it still hadn't zipped so I opened up the top as directed in the hatch assistance guide. Then I needed to be up every 2 hrs trying to keep the membrane moist. This AM the inner membrane looked clearly free of any major blood, so I opened it up more. A little foot quickly grabbed the outside of the egg as soon as it could. Decent cheeping the whole time. It'd actually pooped in the shell at least once so it was definitely late on coming out. It finished popping out of the egg, though there's still a little membrane on its back. It is flopping around now trying to get its legs working... we'll see if it makes it. Its beak was pretty low in the shell - not sure if that's why it had issues, or just the change in environment and temp fluctuations due to this unique situation.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] Hope he does good!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by