Assisted Hatch Chick put back under Broody Hen, Help Please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loveoursilkies, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Loveoursilkies

Loveoursilkies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    We have a broody hen we brought in the house 2 weeks ago, during extreme cold. We've dealt with mites, poop on eggs, etc. I thought they were dead, we candled yesterday, early AM, threw out 3 duds, low and behold, 1 (possibly 2) are alive. The one had already internally pipped, not sure when, so, 24 hours later (or more), no external pip. We did that for it, not sure if we should (keep in mind, these eggs started incubation long before 3 weeks ago (but I believe the cold kept them from progressing, it is very strange), worked fine, but I wasn't where the beak was. I just went in (3 hours later) and had to "zip" to get to the beak area since it still hadn't done any pipping or zipping. I never touched the internal membrane, no bleeding at all, there still is a little veining. I put a dab of warm water on it with my finger and stuck it back under the broody hen to keep it warm (she does a great job). Now the wait to see if it can get out. I guess I've done all I can, it's beak is free from the membrane and is breathing good. I'm wondering, should I go in every few hours to dampen it a tiny with a Qtip or does a broody mom do ok enough with her humidity. It may be better to keep it warm and moist under her. I do know when I pulled it from under her it was hot. Thanks for your help. Please respond.

2. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    I realize I probably shouldn't have assisted, but being that incubation started well over 3 weeks and then I had no idea how long it had been internally pipped, except that I knew it was over 24 hours, not sure how much more, I made the decision. It is doing good, we went in and did put a dab more water on it, the internal membrane is starting to slowly look better with the veins. I tried to pull the membrane a bit more away from the beak, it doesn't look ready, a teeny, very teeny little blood spot, it didn't bleed though. Put it quickly back, it is peeping, so, we'll try to let nature take it's course, unless the membrance gets too dry, we'll check again in a few hours for any progress.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm gonna say it, but after all the information overload on chickens this last 5 weeks, I'm done with assisting. Well, I think I am, but after losing so many chicks a few months ago (like 14) at the day of hatch, egg absorbed already, I guess I freaked out. We have 2 little ones we hatched in an incubator 4 weeks ago who are doing great. The one that had difficulty hatching died. I'm gonna only do this from now on with broody moms, outside. This is too much stress.

4. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    I didn't look under the broody, but it is peeping louder now, maybe that is good. I sure hope so.

5. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Well, you need to keep it moist and breathing. The hen wont be able to keep a constant humidity level so you will have to do this yourself. I hope this helps and get back to me with a pic if it hatches!!!!!!

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  7. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
  8. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks, mom hen got off to try to eat, but she takes forever to eat, I pulled the food for a bit, put her back on the nest, to keep that baby warm and it looks very good at this time, the membrane is drying, veins retracting, time will tell. Also, after eating, she has a habit of going back to the eggs and pooping in the box. I certainly don't need that with this exposed little one. I'll check it again in about an hour or so, put another dab of water. How often do I put the water? At least it goes right back under warm mom. I just worry to take it out too much, even for a minute, as it is pretty cool in my house and there is really no way I can put them anywhere else to warm it up much. Oh, and the other egg that we have never seen movement in, that has a huge air pocket, just externally pipped, so, with lots of prayer, we'll have 2, and it does make me feel better that the timing may have been "ok" with my wrongdoing since it's buddy pipped, as we only have 2 eggs and I'd hate to have only 1 survive.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Just keep the membrane wet so it doesn't dry and trap the little one. Have a quick look through the article I linked for you. It explains the hatching process and what you need to do and when. It's great! Good luck and fingers crossed they'll both hatch o.k.

10. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    We did go in, it had been hours since putting a dab of water, looked like the membrane started to quickly stick to it, so, slowly pulled a bit away, it is dry, no bleeding, after we did that, it is moving lots, stuck a foot out. We quickly put it back under mom for warmth (after wetting some of the exposed membrane). The feathers are already drying on the chick. The mom climbed back on the box, knocked the other egg out of the box, dropped like 2 inches onto a towel, so hopefully ok. I'm telling you, gonna be a long day, but so far, still looking good. Thanks for helping me along. In the next few years, I'll know a lot more than now, but only 1 1/2 years into owning chickens, I don't know much, but we love our chickens. Not sure what these chicks are, they are either 100% Lavender Ameracauna's or are Lavender Ameracauna/Aracauna mix, The rooster is Lavender Ameracauna, our hens are 2 Lavender Ameracauna's and 2 Aracaunas, not counting our silkies. This broody hen is a silkie, these are not her babies, none of them progressed. Of course, she doesn't care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by