Assisted Hatch for Chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fillman09, May 25, 2016.

1. Fillman09

Fillman09 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Hello, I'm new on the thread and we have just successfully hatched 25/29 white leghorn chicks in my classroom. I have only encountered one problem with one chick. I know...rule #1 is not to open the incubator. However, we had a chick who I knew was in trouble and I knew when I pulled him out I should have done something this morning. His membrane had stuck to himself in certain areas. When I finally got enough courage to open the incubator, I discovered this. I assisted him by keeping him warm and carefully removing the shell and leaving the membrane intact. After all that, I put him back in the incubator to finish hatching.

His leg appears to be a little lame. He walks on the side of his foot and not the bottom. This could definitely be because he's brand new and I'm watching him more than I did the others. However, I want to be proactive about this. Is there anyway to fix this problem should it continue?

Thanks for any help.

2. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Can you post a pic?

3. Fillman09

Fillman09 New Egg

May 25, 2016

I can when I go back up to the school. He seemed to be moving a little better and none of the other chicks are picking on him, so I let him rest and get some energy.

4. Fillman09

Fillman09 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    I went back up to give him a 'bath' (He still had some membrane stuck to his back.) He was up walking around great. I think I was prematurely worried about him. I forgot my phone so I didn't get a picture. :(

5. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    That's great to hear! Would love to still see pic if you get one [​IMG]

6. Fillman09

Fillman09 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Here a pics of my little fighter!! He's adorable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    So cute!!!!

8. Fillman09

Fillman09 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Thanks! I was so worried I would hurt him more than help him. He got a second bath this morning and put him under the heater in the incubator and he has ventured out a time or two and ate and got some water. The others are cool with him which is great!

9. Fillman09

Fillman09 New Egg

May 25, 2016
    Here are most of the guys! Some are under the heaters. [​IMG]

10. two j farm

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    What breed are they. I have helped chicks hatch before and some just take a little longer to run around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by