Assisted hatch! Help please!

RobinBray

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2020
First time hatching guinea eggs, though we kept these silly birds for years. Got shipped eggs for fancy colors. Of 20, 10 have hatched in the last 24 hours and are healthy. One had pipped. 9 have done nothing...but show movement...I had to cheat and candle...may as well...my live keets were bullying new hatches and had to go to the brooder. The a storm took out our power and I was struggling to keep temp and humidity up.
The pipped egg has been pipped for 18 hours but no beak so finally broke down and assisted via all the advice on this thread. It's now back in the incubator and hatched. Should I do anything else for it??? Send prayers for the little guy...it was pretty much born in my hands...

First time hatching guinea eggs, though we kept these silly birds for years. Got shipped eggs for fancy colors. Of 20, 10 have hatched in the last 24 hours and are healthy. One had pipped. 9 have done nothing...but show movement...I had to cheat and candle...may as well...my live keets were bullying new hatches and had to go to the brooder. The a storm took out our power and I was struggling to keep temp and humidity up.
The pipped egg has been pipped for 18 hours but no beak so finally broke down and assisted via all the advice on this thread. It's now back in the incubator and hatched. Should I do anything else for it??? Send prayers for the little guy...it was pretty much born in my hands...
Any blood or yolk exposed or is it all absorbed? Good job. Just watch and wait. There's nothing else you can do. Do not give it any food or liquid though. It will aspirate and die. Just wait for him to perk up and start walking (probably tomorrow) and then put him in the brooder. Any pics? We love baby pics ❤

It was all absorbed. I was just going to help a wee bit...til I realized he was too big to turn and had shrink wrapped a bit...but his beak was clear...he just couldn't move to zip. Ended up hatching him all the way. Hes cheeping in the incubator now and already trying to walk. I hope he lives!!!!! I wont sleep tonight for sure. If he lives, then 11 of 20 eggs will have hatched...still waiting to see if the others do anything.
Thanks for listening to me worry!

Any blood or yolk exposed or is it all absorbed? Good job. Just watch and wait. There's nothing else you can do. Do not give it any food or liquid though. It will aspirate and die. Just wait for him to perk up and start walking (probably tomorrow) and then put him in the brooder. Any pics? We love baby pics ❤
20200630_172616.jpg

These are my first babies in a makeshift brooder. I might add that my other 2 real breeders are occupied by 17 keets that we werent expecting!!!! Had to be rescued from bad parenting...they are all now a week old and feisty!
We've played DHS with keets for years...but this is my first time actually incubating.

It was all absorbed. I was just going to help a wee bit...til I realized he was too big to turn and had shrink wrapped a bit...but his beak was clear...he just couldn't move to zip. Ended up hatching him all the way. Hes cheeping in the incubator now and already trying to walk. I hope he lives!!!!! I wont sleep tonight for sure. If he lives, then 11 of 20 eggs will have hatched...still waiting to see if the others do anything.
Thanks for listening to me worry!
That's great! He probably will live. His prognosis is good ;) lol. Have any of the other 9 externally pipped yet? If they were mine... I'd open amd candle them all. Look for internal/external pips, and any movement. Mark any clearly alive ones with a check mark or something (with a pencil) and any questionable ones with a ? mark. Also, welcome to BYC!

That's great! He probably will live. His prognosis is good ;) lol. Have any of the other 9 externally pipped yet? If they were mine... I'd open amd candle them all. Look for internal/external pips, and any movement. Mark any clearly alive ones with a check mark or something (with a pencil) and any questionable ones with a ? mark. Also, welcome to BYC!
None have external pips. I was only brave enough to candle one...and only long enough to see something move. If I do open and candle, should I wrap the egg in a warm damp cloth?

None have external pips. I was only brave enough to candle one...and only long enough to see something move. If I do open and candle, should I wrap the egg in a warm damp cloth?
As of this morning, Lucky is still alive! And has a new friend in the incubator! He is mostly dry except where I may have smeared a bit much bactricin when helping him...may have to gently towel him. Took your advice and candled the remaining eggs. Sadly, of the 9 remaining, only 2 were viable. (Thanks Entergy). But one of those is the one that hatched last night...and hopefully the other today...for a total of 13 babies! Will take pics of Lucky and his friend (why do I think hes a he? Ha!)

Back
Top Bottom