1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Assisting a hatch, now what...need advice ASAP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AinaWGSD, Jan 19, 2013.

1. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm a little thrown by this hatch, all of my others started hatching on day 20, this one the first chick didn't hatch until day 21 and most of them actually hatched very early on day 23. We had a lot of temperature fluctuations early on before we figured out that the vibration from the motor on the egg turner was causing the temperature on the incubator to readjust itself, fortunately mostly low rather than spikes. Anyway, after all of the other viable eggs hatched we had one left last night. We candled and didn't see any movement, so we thought it was dead. There was definitely movement in that particular egg when we candled at lockdown, so we carefully opened it to see if we could figure out what happened. The membrane was quite dry and we thought it was dead, but then we noticed it was breathing!

So last night we moistened the membrane with saline and added a wet towel to the incubator to up the humidity. Once we moistened the membrane we could see that there were still quite a lot of blood vessels so I knew it wasn't ready just yet. 5 hours after opening the egg over the air cell I checked and the chick seemed much more active, I could see the pulsing from the heartbeat and could see breathing. 7 hours after cracking the shell I checked again and it was barely responsive when touched and I could hardly tell it was breathing. I put the egg back in and left it alone. When I checked an hour later (so 8 hours after cracking) I thought it had died. I couldn't see breathing and it did not respond when touched. I did try to peel back a little more of the shell but I must have nicked one of the vessels as it started bleeding. I put it back in the incubator anyway just in case. An hour and a half later, my husband went in and opened the membrane a little bit. The chick did not respond at all and he also assumed it was dead but put it back in anyway just to be extra sure. About 2 hours after that, he went in and checked on it to see that the chick was actually breathing again! There was some bleeding from when my husband opened the membrane, but the vessels seem much smaller now so I'm concerned about blood loss but not panicked about it yet.

So now I'm looking for advice on where to go from here. The chick is still breathing, and I am assuming that we will need to help it hatch since a large portion of the shell is missing and we ruptured the membrane. I'm also assuming that at this point the chick is pretty weak from being in the egg so long (today is day 24, although this particular egg seemed a little less developed than the others so it may be a little behind the ones that have already hatched). We're running a humidifier in that room and the humidity in the 'bator is holding steady at about 70%. The membranes have remained translucent, but I do not think they are overly moist. There are still visible blood vessels, but they are smaller than they were 12 hours ago. We pretty much put the egg back in the incubator last night with the thought that it would probably still die but at least it would be no worse off than if we had done nothing and it died anyway. Now, we still expect that it probably won't make it but I would hate for it to have clung on this long and then die because I do something stupid.

2. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Good luck I hope it's ok

3. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Sorry I cant offer advice I'm new to all this incubating stuff myself I'm on my first hatch due next week.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

1 person likes this.
  5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    see above article you may need to keep the egg/chick in a cup, refer to article.... But I would be able to help better with pictures

6. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed! It's still breathing, so for now we're going to leave it be and not touch the incubator. I'll see if I can get semi-decent pictures through the window.

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    ok just remember you dont want it to get out of the bottom shell prematurely so if you took took much membrane off the top, you may want to put him in a little cup big end/head up, unless he is malpositioned. If he kicks out too soon he may not have yolk absorbed

1 person likes this.
  8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    You are in good hands here with Sally. Good luck with your chick!

9. AinaWGSD

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Unfortunately, he didn't make it. When I went in to check again and take pictures he had stopped breathing.

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sorry to hear that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by