1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Associated health risks of growing food in disused chicken coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by goatsitter, Apr 7, 2017.

1. goatsitter

goatsitter New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Hello everyone,

I've just been offered a parcel of land to grow fruit and vegetables on. It is the site of a dis-used free-range chicken coop. My concern is the owner told me the chickens on that land kept dying despite her repeated attempts to treat/disinfect the land organically.
    Do you know of any health risks associated with growing vegetables there? The plot is in the tropics and has been rested for 6 months. Thank you. Goatsitter.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The chickens may have had a virus or disease that they carried. Most chicken diseases are gone within weeks of the chickens leaving or dying. A virus called Mareks disease can remain in the environment for years, but would only be a problem for chickens. It should not be a problem to you for raising vegetables. I'm not an expert, but that would be my own opinion.

3. goatsitter

goatsitter New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Thanks eggcessive, I'd never heard of anything either but the owner seemed so concerned I started to wonder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by