Assorted Bantam bin. More pics post 21 still confused :(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crickett B, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Crickett B

Crickett B Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Ok, thank goodness I can now say I finished buying out of that assorted bantam bin at the feed store!!!
    [​IMG]
    I have bought one of everything they had in there, and two of some, so I have 10.
    Two I know are Silkies (one white, one black)
    One is a Silver Sebright per previous post
    One is a Gold Sebright per previous post
    One is a Duck Wing OEG (female I hope- already have a rooster crowing) per previous
    One still not sure ( previous post suggest some sort of Cochin) of so I'll repost it as I bought two more of the same kind, but it doesn't look like the first one I bought
    and then two more of I have no clue what they are, which I'll also post. (one I think is a little roo)
    I am pretty sure that the feed store orders from Ideal.
    All have feathered legs, but the two Sebrights.

Unknown #1 (bought two of these)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the one that was suggested to be a possible cochin
    [​IMG]

The possible cochin and one of the unknowns. The feather patterns are different, did I buy more cochins in different colors, or a total different breed of bird?
    [​IMG]

Unknown #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unknown #3 and the possible roo (this was the only one that looked like this in the bin)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all the help you guys have provided on guessing what these are!
    Crickett

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    I think.....
    1. is a D'uccle and the color is mille fleur.
    2. is a Cochin and the color is black or mottled.
    3. is a Cochin and the color is black or mottled.
    Time will tell on the black and mottled colors....

ps. I love chicks. have 2 Japanese hens hatching serama chicks now.
    And have some ( I hope ) hatch in the bator the 9...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    So # 2 and #3 are cochin?
    #2 is black and white
    #3 is brown, black and white. with a "round" head.

I have been trying to look for chick pictures to compare everyone with, and the darker patterned one is looking more and more like the gold laced cochin that was suggested in previous post. It's hard to find pictures of chicks after they lose the fuzz, and before they start looking like miniature adult birds [​IMG]

I do so hope that #1 is the D'uccle. (bought 2 of them) I looked those up, and those are such neat looking little birds [​IMG] Also happy about my new Sebrights too! Aww heck, I am tickled about them all.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you have one with feathered legs, single comb and poufy cheeks, you may have a D'Uccle (could be Salmon Faverolle, but those are yellow as chicks). Did you mean at Brown's? I have three D'Uccles from that bin, bought a couple weeks ago from Linda. Did she happen to say if she's getting anymore shipments of bantams in soon?

5. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Quote:Yes, I can not enter that darn store with out leaving with something that has feathers! In the last week I have bought at least 10, and I am not a fan of bantams! lol (2 silkie's white and black) 1 silver & 1 gold sebright, 1 OEG (god i hope its a hen, I already have a grown roo) 2 D'uccles (I hope) and 3 I am not sure of yet, but looking like one is a gold lace cochin.

All I asked her today, was if she was ever going to order hamburgs. I really would like to have a spotted black and white chicken for some odd reason. She did say they were getting more, but not when. She currently has gold sebrights in the 5 buck bin. All the yellow/whitish chicks that were in the assorted bin from two days ago are gone [​IMG]

Do you think that the last two pictures are the same breed, a cochin? One is black and white and semi "flat top head" and the other is brown black and white, with a round head. I just can't figure out what in the heck they are.

Crickett

6. speckledhen

Gee, Crickett, I don't know. I'm no good at bantams! I have only had one banty, a lavender Cochin, before these three D'Uccles. That last one looks like a rose comb and if so, absolutely no clue!

7. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    ooo fiddlesticks...... I have been staring at baby chick pictures since 9:30 this morning, trying to figure out what the brown round head is! I am so leaning towards the other one being a black cochin... but never had a "normal" one...... both the ones I have, are frizzled

8. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    The black ones with the feathered feet could also be mottled d'uccles. Got a few out of a TSC bantam bin. The one with the brown head looks just like a silver laced cochin I hatched. Watch the feathers for a pattern. Otherwise it just looks black.

9. speckledhen

You should look on Ideal Poultry's website and see what bantams they sell, Crickett--Linda gets hers from Ideal.

10. Crickett B

Aug 26, 2010
    Blue Ridge Mountains
    Thank you, I looked at both of those and have them on my list of could bes.
    I am going to try and take better pictures of them all tonight to repost.
    Genders I have learned to wait on (because normally I end up with roosters)...but not knowing the breed just drives me nuts

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by