Assorted Bantams? Any ideas on breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by floralsurprises, Apr 13, 2016.

1. floralsurprises

floralsurprises New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    We have 18 "Assorted Bantam" chicks that are now a little over a month old.
    They are all black, have 5 toes, though some have yellow feet and beaks, some have black, and some have a mixture of the 2.
    Also some have white spots on their feathers, some brown, and some a mix.

They are growing size-wise at the same rate as normal size chickens, which is worrisome since we paid extra for bantams. Does anyone now if it is normal for them to grow at that rate?

I was wondering if anyone could tell what breeds these are?
    I have posted some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    By any chance did you purchase them from TSC? This year there have been several threads of silky crossbreds that were purchased from TSC labeled as silkies, bantams, or even black sex links.

Your chicks appear to be silky crossbreds - not purebred bantams of any sort.

1 person likes this.
  3. Smiley Chicks

Smiley Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the info, I'm glad I saw this cause we were getting silkies tomorrow from there. They said they're silkie bantams, are they all mixed? What a bummer!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    he local TSC has had bins of silkies - not very good quality - many have been hard feathered and on the large side. One bin full never sold, and they eventually went for a dollar apiece. I think it may vary from store to store. Take a look, and if you do not like what you see - don't buy.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Personally I don't think any of them even rubbed shoulders with true silkies. I wouldn't buy anything from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by