Assorted bantams

thechicksitter

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
Texas
Hi everyone! I was hoping you guys might have some insight into these chicks we picked up at a feed store. I've had them a week and I realize it might be too early to tell with some of these, but I'm really curious!

Im fairly certain that these two are Salmon Faverolles. 5 toes and beards. The top two pics are of the largest chick of the bunch and its lighter in color that the one on bottom.

Old English game bird, maybe? EE? 4 toes and clean legged.

This one also has me stumped. 4 toes, clean legged, dark legs and beak. She looks like a lavender Orpington or maybe another old English bantam? Would you call this a blue, lavender, silver, gray, or white? I'm never sure.

I have no idea which of the feathered footed bantams this is. 4 toes. I'm really hoping it's a Cochin? It looks like this one and the two salmons are getting vulture hocks but i read that those may not stick around once they get older?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7366371/width/200/height/400[/IMG

And last but not least, the little trouble maker. This one never sits still and keeps pecking everyone so the photos are great. Stubby little wings that looks like they're coming in black and white and the tips. Male, perhaps? 4 toes and feather footed, but the feathers on its feet are pretty small compared to the others.

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7366394/width/200/height/400

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
Picture #1 look like d'Uccles
Picture #2 Looks like an OEGB
Picture #3 not sure but leaning to OEGB
Picture #4 and #5 look like Cochins

I was looking that up, and I believe they are supposed to have 4 but it may be a defect in the way it was bred.

So you win at chickens! You had the breed right even with my bad info.
After you posted this, I realized I hadn't actually double checked their toes. My husband told me there were 5 the day we brought them home and I just took his word for it. I know better than that. Lol.

So you win at chickens! You had the breed right even with my bad info.
After you posted this, I realized I hadn't actually double checked their toes. My husband told me there were 5 the day we brought them home and I just took his word for it. I know better than that. Lol.
I'm glad you figured that out :), d'Uccles are an adorable breed and the males are very majestic!

Last edited:
Updates on the unknowns

She's got incredibly tattered looking feathers and I read that common with the Lavender gene. I'm still thinking OEGB. Maybe a Dutch bantam? I can't tell a difference between the breeds. It looks like there's some sort of faint pattern on the wings.

Still not sure with this one. No beard/muff so it's probably an OEGB instead of ee? No idea what the feather patterning is doing or what you'd call it. It's developing the fastest. Little shoulder feathers are coming in and the tiniest comb. Is it still too early to sex at 2 weeks?

If I were to guess gender on any of them, I'd bet on this being a roo. Or a very late developer. It's developing the slowest by far. The wing feathers are half the length of everyone else's. I love his stance though. He stands so tall for such a squatty little body. I'm still guessing Cochin? Maybe mottled? I wanted a mottled Cochin hen more than anything.

Updates on the unknowns

She's got incredibly tattered looking feathers and I read that common with the Lavender gene. I'm still thinking OEGB. Maybe a Dutch bantam? I can't tell a difference between the breeds. It looks like there's some sort of faint pattern on the wings.

Still not sure with this one. No beard/muff so it's probably an OEGB instead of ee? No idea what the feather patterning is doing or what you'd call it. It's developing the fastest. Little shoulder feathers are coming in and the tiniest comb. Is it still too early to sex at 2 weeks?

If I were to guess gender on any of them, I'd bet on this being a roo. Or a very late developer. It's developing the slowest by far. The wing feathers are half the length of everyone else's. I love his stance though. He stands so tall for such a squatty little body. I'm still guessing Cochin? Maybe mottled? I wanted a mottled Cochin hen more than anything.
#1 and #2 looks like OEGB, the Cochin maybe a cockerel. Though it is to young to sex for sure, also I think it will either be Silver laced, Barred, or Molted.

I thought I'd update this thread. The self blue oegb ended up being a pullet. She's the smartest chicken I've ever had. She's even learned a few tricks.
The other oe turned out to be a roo and found a new home in the country.

The one I was so sure was a cockerel was definitely a pullet. A beautiful, sweet little light brahma.

Back
Top Bottom