1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Assorted Chicks. Guesses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by promiseacres, Feb 9, 2014.

1. promiseacres

promiseacres Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    potential breeds are: giant cochin, silkie, rhodebar, bielefelder, maran x, and delaware (I believe those are it)
    Most of the eggs were of med-large size and light tan-brown(only 3 total could of been silkie) 10 of these hatched on day 20 and I lost track after the first 3 of which eggs. it's day 22 and still have 1 in the process of hatching and 3 eggs left

1. bielefelder or rhodebar (pretty sure pullet :) )
    has clean legs
    [​IMG]

2a. these all have feathered legs 4 toes, mixed colors (Std cochin OR Silkie)
    [​IMG]

2b. you can see the differences in amount feathering in this group
    [​IMG]

3. a bit smaller, with yellow feet, 4 toes and feathered legs. all mostly black with some yellow
    [​IMG]

4. pretty sure these two are maran X
    [​IMG]

5. pretty sure these are delawares (1 has greying feather tips 1 does not)
    [​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Adorable! Going with the breeds that you listed...

I think you're right on 1.

For 2, Silkies should have black or very dark feet all over, as well as 5 toes. Silkies also have crests, but these don't always show up in chicks. Looks like the lavender colored (?) one is your Silkie in this batch. The rest appear to be Cochins (can't tell what colors--maybe a partridge, a lavender split, and a black?).

3, they look like black Cochins.

4, Marans X is hard because French Marans have feathered feet. Depending on where you got them, the feathered feet may or may not have been preserved.

5, definitely look like Delawares.

My 2 cents!

3. promiseacres

Oct 1, 2012

4. promiseacres

Oct 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

any thoughts on sex? he is 2 mos facial features say hen to me, tail feather say roo... :) thank you!

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hard to tell because it's so blurry but the comb size and colour looks like that of a pullet's. Is this bird one of your suspected frizzled chicks from your earlier photos above?

6. promiseacres

Oct 1, 2012
    yes, he is in the 2nd photo, the yellow one with stripes. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by