assorted coturnix questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Jun 11, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    I've heard conflicting answers about texas A&M quail, I've been told they are the white jumbos and that they have white meat, where as all other quails have dark meat. then i've heard the opposite, that they are dark meat as well. Which is it?

I'm also kind of almost afraid to mention jumbo quail based on the general opinion of the forum, but i must know! i intend to keep a pen of jumbos... have 50 eggs coming and from what hatches i will keep the ones that grow the fastest and biggest for the breeding stock and freezer camp the rest. I would like to use the jumbo to improve the size of the assorted colors, is this plausible, or is it a waste of time.

When it comes to "jumbos" I've been told size at 4 or 5 months doesn't mean alot, it has more to do with how fast they grow and the size they achieve by 6-8 weeks that really matters and i should always base my breeding selections off of that. Sound about right?

For right now i am going to try out my jumbos and my assorted colors that come from the lady and see if i like them and which i like. but is there anywhere people can highly recommend for getting additional colors? I see "mixed" and "assorted" colors on e-bay frequently, but when you read on theres either no info, or you see mostly jumbos, pharos and A&M... I take it those are the more common colors? arent the first 2 the same just different size? so can any one recomend a place to get colors? and a good range of colors? I don't really mind assortments, but i dont want to get more jumbos and browns when i already have them, assortments of other colors are fine lol.

Thanks
    sib

2. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    The first rule of coturnix is....there is no such thing as white meat coturnix! If one wants to raise white meat quail, then look to bobs.
    The 2nd rule of coturnix is....no strain grows any faster than any other. The regular strains grow to their regular top weights at 8-10 weeks, and the jumbos grow to their larger top weight in the same amount of time. Equal to body weight feed resources will need to be deployed. NO STRAIN REACHES TOP BODY WEIGHT, any faster than the other.

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:AMEN AND X2

4. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:AMEN AND X2

Why is this so hard for people to get a grip on JJ?

To the OP.....Sorry you got caught up in the myths and lies of the coturnix mobyquail! They are delightful, easy rearing, breeding birds! I'm sorry people make them out to be something they are not!

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Light meat, but no white meat.

6. I can't wait to see it for myself. Mostly wanted qauil for the pickled eggs but love to eat quail as well. I have many of these same questions. I like having them answered without even having to ask.

Dark meat and It'll take a few to fill me up. They are small little birds.

7. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    Quote:What about the last section, sourcing colors?
    Thanks
    Sib

8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    Quote:What about the last section, sourcing colors?
    Thanks
    Sib

QuailLady has some of the prettiest and consistently larger birds in all colors, and I just saw with my own eyes that JJ has some real lunkers in fawn/dilute? pharoah and white coturnix - imho, and from what I have seen.

I have several different colored birds from both of them, If you want reds or hard to find colors- hit them up to get on their list for eggs.

if you want a good balanced start, I also suggest several other sellers and plain old byc'ers here on the forum, ask around, get a mixed bag and breed your own for "size" and what "you" like. e.g., I started my whites from several Florida breeders jumbo pens.

in the end, your environment, your feed, your selection and your incubator will make your birds what they/you are.

best of luck!
    post pictures!

9. syble

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    thanks! i'll probably know in a month or two if i like them enough to expand, it would be nice to get eggs in the fall so i can have stock ready for spring.
    Thanks for all the info.
    Sib

10. joe125

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:Absolutely scrumptious tasting meat my friend! They are just not bobs that mature in half the time...which is why I don't like to see people sell them as such. If people want to raise bobs, because they like the meat, then fine!
    I'm a "PICK YOUR BIRD" kinda person. If you want to raise Zambian gutter snipes, bobs, or what ever....then that is fine with me, but please don't try to wrap them all in a coturnix, because a coturnix is a coturnix, is a coturnix!

The up side to raising corturnix is....They are great egg layers, great meat (COTURNIX TASTING) meat producers, and if you play your cards right, you can raise 2-3 generations before you get your first bob egg. That is fine as long as one doesn't want to raise bobs, or what ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by