Assorted Ducks

OneLuckeyWife

Songster
Jun 21, 2017
Texas
We bought two "assorted ducks" from our local feed store. The clerk said that all the farmer told them was that they were "assorted ducks". Well only one, the smaller one, started quacking awhile ago. Today the bigger, fatter duck made a sound that was like a honking that geese do. How do I tell if my duck is goose? They are only about one-two months old.

Can you post a picture please?

Ill have to get a picture of them tomorrow. I don't have a recent one but I have this one of them as babies. The black one is Pepper, he quacks. The yellow is Salt, he doesn't quack. Pepper has been quacking for about 3 weeks now. Salt has always been bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_3504.JPG
    IMG_3504.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    351.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3506.JPG
    IMG_3506.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 14
They're both ducks :)

Thank goodness. Is there a reason why Salt doesn't quack. He makes noises but they sound like a goose honking, or he cheeps about.

They both have adopted our Brahma chicken, BoomBa, who has crossed beak. Although, Salt runs in fear of my Showgirl Silkie, only 1 month old and will be a house chicken.

Girls quack, boys rasp. You've got one of each! I don't know how to tell if they are mixes, but she looks like a Cayuga and he looks like a Buff.

Girls quack, boys rasp. You've got one of each! I don't know how to tell if they are mixes, but she looks like a Cayuga and he looks like a Buff.

So my yellow one, Salt is a boy!? That make sense. Guess I'll have baby ducks haha. Will ducks try to breed with chickens and chickens with ducks or do they know that won't work?

OMG I just looked up those breeds! That's what they look like now that they are older! You are amazing, totally spot on!

Spot On

Attachments

• IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    826.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4217.JPG
    IMG_4217.JPG
    753.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4226.JPG
    IMG_4226.JPG
    601.9 KB · Views: 13
Those are pretty little ducks. I love Cayugas.

Also, drakes will breed literally anything. They're incredibly naughty. I don't rec putting a drake with any chickens unless you have a good number of ducks with him...And watch him, and make sure he leaves the chickens alone. Don't ever let him near younger chickens; drakes are known to be infanticidal.

Ducks have penises. Chickens don't, and are not made for penetrative sex.

Back
Top Bottom