Assorted eggs...any drawbacks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BroosterSpringsteen, May 15, 2011.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    We are temporary foster parents to our current flock. They will be adopted by their original owner's grandma as soon as her coop is finished. We've grown quite attached. They are laying fertilized eggs, so I'm planning to incubate. They have an unreliable rate of fertilization though, so I was planning to get more eggs from another source to fill in. I wanted to get assorted eggs, mostly for the excitement of the unknown. We're planning to keep a very small flock, basically just as pets. Any drawbacks to hatching an unknown assortment?

2. naughtyhens

naughtyhens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    I think an assortment would be great for pets because they'll be easy to tell apart. You wouldn't want to mix up Sandy with Wendy or Rosalita. [​IMG]

3. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I'm totally going to use all those names. If you have any more ideas, do let me know [​IMG]

4. DinosRBirds

DinosRBirds Hunted by Moonlight

Feb 1, 2011
    Lake Huron,MI
    Quote:Not that i've ever noticed.you either get eggs and meat or meat, so its prettymuch fine. [​IMG] hope you have a great time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by