"Assorted Marans" Hmmm...What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happyhenslivehere, Apr 25, 2009.

1. happyhenslivehere

happyhenslivehere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Red Dirt Prairie
    Went to an auction today and bought 21 chicks labeled "assorted marans" for .50 each - I know there are some Cuckoo's in there, mostly cockerels (the one I was for sure was a pullet died *sob*) but these others I'm not so sure about? I did some researching and they look more like Welsummer chicks to me, but I'm no pro. I realize there are a lot of pictures, but I'm at a loss here. Throw out your best guesses!! I still think they're cuties regardless of their ethnicity. [​IMG]

Pretty sure these are CM boys:
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure this is a pullet, but I dunno.
    [​IMG]

Sorry there's not a good pic of the legs...if that's vital to their heritage then I can run out there and take a peek. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Views of the whole gang.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here you can see a noticeable difference between the light and dark chicks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lighter chicks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lighter colored chick with different markings:
    [​IMG]

2. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    oh, oh! I'm getting the thrill of feeling like I know something. The 3rd pic, and the later pic with the yellow-ish chick with the almost red stripe, and black markings around the eyes, look exactly like my 3 "Ameracauna" (but more likely EE since they are from a big hatchery) babies! Mine have bare legs, which range from light slate to very slate colored.

3. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    rats, I just realized mine have super super fluffy cheeks though.

4. happyhenslivehere

Apr 20, 2009
    Red Dirt Prairie
    Quote:I went and looked, and they really are sleek cheeked (haha) - Interestingly enough, there is one with light slate-ish legs but the others are more yellowy...all of them do have bare legs.

5. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    The third pic looks like welsummers to me. Not sure one the other ones. They're all really cute!

6. happyhenslivehere

Apr 20, 2009
    Red Dirt Prairie
    Quote:Kinda what I was thinking. I suppose it would be easy to get them all jumbled together considering they both come out of dark eggs. I think they're cuties, and hopefully I end up with a decent amount of girls out of the bunch. [​IMG] Only time will tell! Can't complain for .50 cents each. Unless of course they're all boys and then I'll have to complain. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by