Assorted Silkies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alex961, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Alex961

Alex961 Out Of The Brooder

Hi, everyone I was wondering if it is worth getting the assorted Silkies from Ideal Poultry instead of choosing your own? Also How much is shipping from Meyer Hatchery? Also Please post some pictures of your Silkies. Thanks! -Alex

2. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I guess it depends on why you want them. Show? Brooders? Silkies are so very, very cute [​IMG] ? If you are just wanting them for brooders and don't care what colors you get then get the asst. hatchery stock. If you are wanting some great looking birds for show I'd get them from a reputable breeder. I had three given to me, then bought three more for brooders, decided they were the coolest chickens I've ever seen and want to breed them myself so I'm getting atleast a dozen high quality hatching eggs. Just beware. Silkies are addictive! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    I went the breeder route after I saw some pics of Ideals Silkies full grown. The ones I saw looked scruffy and uneven. They weren't the little fluff balls you expect them to be. Don't get me wrong...they were cute! They just didn't look like Silkies...more like regular, but furry chickens.

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:Eggnewton is right. It depends on what you want to do with them. If your intentions down the road are showing, get them from a breeder. If you want pet quality, then go with the hatchery....don't expect the hatcery ones to be show potential.....[​IMG]

5. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Quote:The three that were given to me where nice and fluffy could barely see their eyes. It was mom, dad, and their offspring. I only have the little roo left. Predator got mamma and daddy just up and died. [​IMG] The three I bought the buffs arent bearded and not very fluffy on top. The white one looks good so does the other white one i just got. None of them are show quality tho. Now the hatching eggs I'm going to get, her breeding stock is absolutely gorgeous!!! [​IMG]

6. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    I bought my silkies from ideal... some are fluffier than others ... i only wanted pets so thats fine with me..

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:Do you have pics?
    I just wanted pets too...but my DH is a "spare no expense" type of guy and he would have eventually seen some SQ silkies and bought them for me and I would have had 2 different sets, and too many. It just would have got complicated. *sigh* I'm not complaining. I just know him enough to know he'd want me to spend the extra $$ now or he'd spend it later.
    I digress..... Pics please!!!!!

8. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    It will be friday before i can get pics...DH is out of town with the camera and won't be home until friday... I will get pics then for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by