Assortment of chicks ? is it possible ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Quailbuddy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hi I want to get some egg laying hens and i really like silkies, barred rock and american ameranas ( the colored egg layers )<-- ( sp) but can i mix breeds in the same coop ?

2. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I have about 10 different breeds (including all those you want) - standards and bantams - in the same coop, so yes, it's possible [​IMG]

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Sure! Lots of people do that! You can have a very colorful flock that way. You might want to be careful about putting silkies and polish in with "normal" chickens as they can get picked on a lot. Also bantams might not mix in well. Many do have mixed flocks with these, but many others have had problems with mixing them in.

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be able to do this, however they will mix much better if you have them all together from day one as chicks. Once they're older they will have a more difficult time integrating, no matter what breeds you mix in. Once the pecking order is established and you add new chickens they have to work it out all over again and the bigger the chicken the bigger the "bite" ya know.

5. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:yes i plan on getting them all when there 1 to7 days old [​IMG] 1 day old being what i want the most [​IMG]

6. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I have all my LF in one coop and my silkies in another. The visit each other's coops during the day but always sleep in their own. I think it's better just because of the size difference. I had a polish roo he came with my LF pullets (free rare breed) raised with everyone else from day one and they still pecked the heck out of his poor little head.

7. Quailbuddy

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Quote:ah thats a good idea but im limited in space becausei live in a neighborhood . . . laws say must not be seen from street and no more than 15 chickens [​IMG][​IMG]
    But as long as they are somewhat quiet , hmmmmm [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Really, the only breeds you shouldn't mix are Oriental or South American-type gamefowl - But then again, a lot of people with enough experience have successfully done it before. Otherwise, I don't know of anyone who doesn't mix and match with sizes or breeds of chicken! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by