Assuming CHF-I have never seen this.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chooniecat, Nov 21, 2011.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    had a 19 mo RIR that didn't act right for week or so(could find no external parasites-she WAS thin but still eating etc) and "did" her yesterday thinking I would necropsy but was so grossed out by her heavyness(lack of flesh tho)and suspected I would find fluid. Sure enough she was engulfed in water and I was shocked at how quickly it happened. Have never seen CHF(to my knowledge) as have only lost 2 hens in several years to unknown causes. So am assuming ,from the little i have heard, that more than likely CHF.Any experience with definitive CHF appreciated

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Ascites and internal laying/egg peritonitis will also cause fluid build up in the abdomen. Did you look at any of the organs? Ascites would be as a result of a fatty/damaged liver. Internal laying would be pretty much unmistakeable with massive quantities of cooked eggs also being present in the abdomen. EYP may be evidenced by damaged egg(s) inside the oviduct. How did the bird's heart look? Was it oversized or spongy feeling?

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    sorry to give negligent answers but I woosed out when I saw all of the fluid and assumed CHF. Have rarely had an ill chicken so am going to have to step up the investigative stuff(necropsy) and will learn what normal chicken hearts/ETC. look like. I feel terrible for having woosed out now but this will inspire me to be thorough next time. Am done rambling now and thanks for thought.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. EmmyGirl

EmmyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2008
    Skippack, PA
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

I agree with CMV--sounds more likely that the fluid was from ascites or infection from EYP.

5. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    processed a BA hen last week and found a softball sized water filled sac in her so am curious if its something going on in possibly ALL of the chickens as egg production has severly deminished(altho it IS darker/cooler now)and have never had them drop off production SO bad. OR a coincidence but then I wonder if its something I am doing/not doing thats affecting them???? Nice to get ideas from you guys but I am afraid I am going to neglect(unintentionally) all of my hens now. And my puter sucks so looking anything up can take forever-if it happens at all. will try to learn more online SOON.thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by