Asthma in dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by vickig, May 30, 2008.

1. vickig

vickig Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    I wonder if this is possible. I know they can get allergies, but can they be asthmatic...have asthma attacks?

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Describe what the dog sounds like when it has "an attack" is it kind of a coughing, honking noise? If so, it is from a callapsing trachea. Many dogs have this problem. They can live fine with it, but if it starts happening real often, the vet can give you meds to help control it. Let me know, I'll try to help, worked as a vet tech for 10 years!

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If it's an older dog a cough can also be a sign of congestive heart failure.

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    My dog had a problem like this, got to the point where she couldn't even play outside, as soon as she would try to run she would start kind of coughing/sneezing. Found out she was allergic to a cat we had brought home shortly before she started acting this way. It started with a cough, turned into coughing fits, asthma type reaction. She is fine now, had to get rid of the cat.

When I took her to the vet they did check her trachea, it was fine, and they were going to test her heart next. Boxers are known for heart problems. But it ended up being the cat

5. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dogs can have athsma. Its an autoimmune disorder so it is caused by food allergies. We are trying to get our horse allergy tested but no one tests food.

6. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Boy it is hard to describe, it's not a cough....she opens her mouth and it's like she is trying to get air. She stands real stiff or will walk over to me and she sounds horrible, loud enough to wake us up.

If I rub her throat or hold her mouth open wider it seems to help get her breathing back to normal.

She's a beagle and is overweight, had her thyroid tested and nothing, she eats very small portions twice a day and has NO table scraps.

[​IMG]

7. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Our horse has allergy's in the spring, summer and fall. He coughs and sneezes, some days more than others. Some days his eyes run. I wash him down nearly everyday to help keep the pollen off of him.

It doesn't phase him at all, he still feels good most days.

8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Ah! I bet your dog is "reverse sneezing". It is very common in beagles (and other small dogs) although any dog can do it. It is really alarming, but usually not harmful.

Does it look something like this?

9. vickig

May 26, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:THAT'S IT!!!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I was so scared she had something serious, our other dog does that as well, but not very often.

I had never heard of this.

10. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Happy to help!! If you do a google search on "reverse sneezing" you can get plenty of information about it. I have had many, many beagles come through my classes that do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by