1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Astralorp or Jersey Giant hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ears73, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Hi all. I just got these birds and wondered which they were? Or perhaps something else? I am pretty sure they lay very light brown colored eggs.

I gave up a JG hen when she was 17 weeks old and she was HUGE compared to these two, and I don't have a clear picture of either breed's comb/wattles... Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

Thanks a bunch!

2. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'd guess australorps. Their combs are looking pretty mature, and they appear smaller than the white girl by them. I think they'd be much bigger if they were JG's. It's not always accurate, but can you pick them up and look at the bottoms of their feet? JG's have yellow on the bottom, and australorps have pinkish white. It works best with birds that aren't hatchery quality, but it's worth a try.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

looks just like my Australorps, and size wise, I'd say their wattles & combs are such that they're too small at that stage to be JGs. Enjoy your birdies! [​IMG]

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Look like my Australorps.

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks all!!
    I thought so, but wanted to make sure with the eggsperts at BYC [​IMG]

The newly adopted 5 above (2 astralorps & 3 cochins) prompted my 8 other hens to begin laying! Yippeeee!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by