1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Astralorp X with ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dmiravalle, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    Any suggestions? These were supposed to Astralorps, they were marked like the chicks are supposed to be but started showing up with leg feathers at a couple of days old. In these pics they are 5 months old. And currently weigh #1. 5.6 and #2 6.2 pounds. Any suggestions on the rest of the bird??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bird in front of this one is a bantam cochin.
    [​IMG]

If you look carefully on this one, the blue colored bird behind her is our TURKEY!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I could be wrong, but they look like Standard Cochins not Australorp mixes. If not they Australorp mixed with Standard cochins. Beautiful girls though. I may have to get some Standard Cochins now. [​IMG]

Edited for spelling.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    I was thinking standard cochin, but our standards were never quite this big, plus they have a definete V in their tail.. That is why I was thinking a cross, and of course their were advertised as Astralorps. Love these mystery chickens!

4. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Standard Cochins. Gorgeous birds! My barred Cochin roo (may he rest in peace) was bigger at 5 months old that my RSL roo was at 2 years. I, too, may have to get some now! [​IMG]

5. dmiravalle

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    They are definetely sweet, but very standoffish. All our other little cochins and previous standards, we VERY social. Thanks for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by