Astrolarps Children and Roosters??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BethanyS, Aug 6, 2014.

1. BethanyS

BethanyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Hey Astrolarp fans I would love some input.We have a surplus of 3week old black Astrolarp chicks.I have a friends with three fabulous gentle children and they want chickens bad!Space and money is limited and i I have a rabbit hutch I can give them.I wanted to give them 3hens but the little boy is dead set on having a Rooster to protect his ladies.So my concerns are Will the roo be ok around children,will he tormented only 2 hens.I do plan on fixing them a little run and a chicken tractor to move around the yard....should I consider more hens if we do give them a roo...they have been handled daily and will follow us around the yard the roo in question seems calm now...but he is a baby.The children will be the feeding them and keeping an eye on them when they free range the yard. Any advise would be great.thank you

2. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    Ha forgive the typos my phone can't spell

3. rc4u

rc4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    in my experiance there is noo way to tell how the personalities of any roo or hen for that matter is going to be until at leat 4 months old and even then it does change when they fully mature after a year....good or bad is just like poeple...young ones seem good, they get older and can be lawless...jeff

1 person likes this.
  4. BethanyS

Nov 14, 2012
    middle Tennessee
    I'm tempted to look for silkies we had such a cuddly one before he perished :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by