1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Astrolorps Rooster or hen? Someone's ttrying to crow to but I never can catch it..sure seems that w

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shellikirbey, Mar 7, 2016.

1. shellikirbey

shellikirbey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    [​IMG]

2. gigi113

gigi113 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    Connecticut
    I would say roo, though they won't start crowing til much later.

3. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    . Yea the comb is looking pinkish ..

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    How old?

1 person likes this.
  5. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    it's around 4 weeks.possibly a little more..I went to a breeder and go pick some out..

6. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    I went to a breeder and picked some out when they was 2 weeks old straight run..I have five black astrolorps and it looks like two and possibly three are male.the other two aren't showing a comb yet but one mybe a little but it's beak is all black and very SM comb black to..I feal two are hens maybe three..I hope..lol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  7. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    I want one rooster but not sure if it's the austrolorp rooster I want.I have americuana,Easter eggers,wellsummer, cuckoo maran, and Barred Rock.I would like baby's to have colored eggs and dark brown.

8. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    If the comb and beak are black one one or a few, it is a possibility of it being black sumatras.... My black sumatra chick looked like an austrolorp chick. :)

9. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Oh really..well I picked them out of a bunch in a brooder that were different breeds so it's possible I grabbed a different breed if they look a lot alike..I'll have to check but I think two with not much comb or none has all black beak but not sure if both had black comb but one deffinately did cause I could barely see the comb cause both wer black..I'll have to get in touch with that lady to and see if she had sum.I will try post a pic later of it..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  10. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    OK... a picture will help :)
    Last time I got chicks I actually picked out an austrolorp looking chick....
    When I got home, since they were rare breeds grab bag, I decided to find out what they were. I ended up convinced I had an austrolorp for several weeks till she started feathering out, then wasn't sure what she was.... she's around 2 or so years old now and now I find out she's a Black Sumatra. They kinda look like crows in a way... so I call her crow.
    Let me see if I have her chick picture handy for comparison...

Here's one of her now...
    [​IMG]
    Here we go...
    That's the only one I can find at the moment. She sort of looks a little like an austrolorp. Don't know how close the coloring is, but I was convinced :p
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by