1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At 11 weeks still trying to sex my Pekin Bantams (pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by quasar217, Apr 20, 2012.

1. quasar217

quasar217 New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Hi all, I'm new here but have been reading the forum for a while.

We hatched 3 Pekin Bantam eggs in an incubator, only 2 hatched, and we've raised the chicks from babies. Both seem to be buff in colour, and we've enjoyed watching them grow. They're naturally tame and hand fed etc.

They are now 11 weeks old and from about the age of 3 weeks we've been trying to second-guess their gender. We are in a suburban area and aren't allowed to keep roosters, so naturally hoping for hens. I've wavered over time, initially thinking both might be roosters, then both hens, t hen one of each. If anything I've thought the larger one has been a hen and the smaller a rooster, because its comb was always a bit redder. but as these pics show there's not much difference between them now. Both were hatched on the same day but there's quite a size difference, and the smaller one is a bit darker in colour too.

They've grown up with only each other for company so I hate to have to split them up. Though they have just started to fit in and wander round the garden with our two older hens who seem to have accepted them.

Anyway I'm sure there are people on here with far more experience who can probably work out their sex in about 2 seconds. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]\[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG]First off...they are beautiful! Look like pullets to me, I think you'de see bigger combs by now if they were Roosters. Good luck.

3. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Looks like pullets to me too.

4. quasar217

quasar217 New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks, that's what we're hoping of course as we can then keep them. We've named the larger one "Zoe", since we thought it was a she, the smaller one doesn't have a name yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by