At 4 weeks, Cornish Cross don't seem to be growing like they were.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Denninmi, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    They don't seem to be much larger than a week ago.

Notice I said "seem" -- I haven't been weighing them -- just my perception.

No changes in feed or anything, either -- been using a blend of 28% gamebird starter and 18% medicated, so it averages to 23%, maybe a bit high on the protein but so far, no signs of any health issues.

It has, however, been pretty hot here, including last weekend when we set a record of 99! Maybe the heat is cutting down on the appetite, hence less growth?

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Bingo! I have some out right now that are over 8 weeks, and they seem to be growing slowly as well, as it is hot/humid here. I know I tend to eat less when it's hot, so it's understandable they would too.

3. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I agree, CX do not handle heat well. I've found that pouring water over their crumbles helps keeps them growing a bit better............... they love wet mash in hot weather.

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I think I may just make the majority of them into Cornish Hens this upcoming weekend, pulling the plug on this first attempt at just short of 5 weeks. They are a perfect Cornish Hen size right now, or perhaps just a tad bigger. Haven't really spent all that much on food. Its looks like the NWS is predicting above normal temps here for at least the next 2 weeks. I don't want to waste a lot of time taking care of them if they won't size up nicely, and I could use the space for other birds. I'll decide here in the next day or so. Its been a fun project so far, definitely a learning experience. If I finish up with these, I think I could order a batch for mid-late August delivery and have them grow and size up nicely in the cooler fall weather, harvesting in late Oct. That would probably work out really well, they'll be able to handle the cooler temps by Oct.

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:The chicks I get in late August for late October butcher are always my best batch of the year. Nice, big, clean birds. The cool weather is your friend as far as filling out because they need to eat to help keep them warm. Of course they don't have to eat as much as they do for warmth, but makes for great birds, and it's much nicer butchering in cool weather.

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:How long will wet mash keep in the hot weather without spoiling? Is it something to worry about?

7. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    smart Denninmi, I think the cooler weather would help too. and will join you then for a growout.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by