at 42 days old can chicks go outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Charline, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Charline

Charline New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    I have chicks that are about 42 days old, they are trying to roost on the waterer and feeder,
    and they want to fly real bad ;-) I've kept them in a tote then an animal carrier to accomodate
    their growing taller, and now separated them into two containers in a spare bedroom.
    It's hot here in Texas, 91 today in south Texas (Bryan/College Station), and I have gotten the tin roof on my chicken coop and would love to take the ladies out there to live. Is it too early? Is it too hot? When can I move them outside???
    thanks so much, Charline

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Oh yes, they can go out. Make sure they have plenty of shade from the sun and are safe from predators and all will be fine and dandy. Mine were out the door at 4 weeks and younger.

3. gboysmom

gboysmom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Charline...ours are out too and we live north of you in Fort Worth. I've had to set some boards up on west side of the run to keep the sun off of them, but other than that, they have done great. [​IMG]

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:If they have a place where they are protected from predators and not too cold and drafty - weeks ago. You could have put them out there 40 days ago with a heat lamp also. Mine are younger than yours and have been outside for weeks - without heat lamps. They sleep inside at night and run outside during the day. The earlier a chick is able to get on the ground and start being a chicken, the better for them.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If they have a place where they are protected from predators and not too cold and drafty - weeks ago. You could have put them out there 40 days ago with a heat lamp also. Mine are younger than yours and have been outside for weeks - without heat lamps. They sleep inside at night and run outside during the day. The earlier a chick is able to get on the ground and start being a chicken, the better for them.

I agree. I never keep chicks in the house to start with.

6. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks were three weeks old yesterday and the meaties have been outside for 1 1/2 weeks and the hens for almost a week. We live in Arizona and it is 107 outside now. I just keep an eye on them, give them lots of water with ice jugs added and shade over the entire run. The hens sleep in the coop at night while the meaties sleep in their side of the run. I also worried about the heat but even as hot as it is here the birds seem to be grateful to be outside where they belong. They really love being able to fly, run and just be chickens. I also appreciate having my dust free, stink free house back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by