At a loss for what this hen is!

jtallant

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 21, 2012
OK
Been a long time since I've been around. Got some TSC chicks about 18 weeks ago and this one has me puzzled. I've made numerous guesses watching her grow but I don't really know and would love to hear everyone's opinion. :) She is not flighty, pretty friendly mostly and her black feathers are almost shiny green in the sunlight. The legs are black, the comb is black, the wattles are black. The only white is the sprinkle of feathers down her breast area. Anyway, thanks for looking!

Chickencraz, Interesting cross if that is it! She does have a black tongue. I confess I had to Google that breed, have never heard of it. Bantamslave02, I thought at first too a black sex link but I've never seen one with black feet/comb/wattles/tongue (not that anything is not possible in the world of chicks) and I kept waiting for the red to start coming out but it's not. I'm going to read up on this Ayam Cemani now because they sure look strange ... thank you both so much
smile.png

I think thats a "Asia Black" chicken, I believe it is a type of sex link mainly used as an alternative to the cornish cross for meat. It should also lay a decent amount of eggs too, dual purpose with emphasis on meat. A new type of hybrid, I saw one similar in another post here somewhere.

Dom

BSL don't have black combs. The only all black breeds I know of are Kadaknath, Ayam Cemani, and Black Swedish. I'm not very good at spotting the differences. They are look similar to me. I do know the Ayam Cemani can have white sometimes, it's just that good breeders don't use those birds for breeding. But my understanding was that those breeds are not common so I'm not sure you would find them at a feed store.

I know silkie's have black skin and combs. It doesn't look like a silkie but maybe it's a mix.

I hope some experts come along with more help. I'd also like to know what she is. She is a lovely looking bird.

Last edited:
Lomine, my thoughts exactly lol what feed store chick would be rare? I mean next time I'm out in the pen I'm going to tell her that though :) It is her black comb and such that really threw me off. In any case, I sure like the way she looks too. I might name her Puzzle because she truly is.

All the Asia Black chickens I see images and descriptions are with a red comb so not sure about that but the white down her front does match that bird.

I'm a duck girl, so no clue.....but, man, is she ever gorgeous! I'm so in love with my Cayuga I had googled black chickens bc you never know when you're gonna branch out with fowl ;). The Ayam Cemani had that gorgeous beetle sheen under the sun...how fun to have the possibility of a rare mix in your bunch! From TSC, no less! Enjoy her, she's absolutely lovely.

Back
Top Bottom