At a Loss - What to Do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Katz5617, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chirping

Jul 21, 2014
    A while back I had written about Lady - our RIR. She had Marek's and for two weeks I nursed her back to health, babied her and she went from death's door to alive and perky. She did suffer permanent paralysis of her left wing, but she compensated well. It took two weeks of slow introduction to gain her entry back into the flock. She ate with them, slept with them and played with them. Even with the paralysis she could managed to get up to the outdoor perch - she did everything the other girls did and was thriving. She was gaining weight, her comb was growing and a nice pinkish red color and bright eyes and shiny feathers. For a month or more she has been the picture of health. I never expected her to lay because I knew with the paralysis on the left side there could also be things wrong with her internally and I had read Mareks could cause tumors and such - but just over a week ago - Lady laid her first egg. It was a small egg and I could tell it had taken a lot out of her so I brought her in for some extra pampering, food she didn't have to share and electrolytes. I wanted her to rest comfortably. Later I took her out and let her bed down in the coop with her sisters. The next morning she came out - though I could tell she still wasn't feeling her best but that day she marched into the coop and laid her second egg. This time I could really tell that the act of laying was causing some distress - so again I brought her in to let her recoup, extra rations and electrolytes and vitamins. Back out she went that evening to the coop - I didn't want the other girls to ostracize her again. Long story short - after each egg she has gotten worse and worse. She can no longer stand and yesterday her legs were sticking every which way like the pictures of chickens with Mareks - I just knew this second time she was a goner, but I am having a hard time letting go - so I brought her back into the house and I have been hand feeding and watering her - she still can't stand. I'm not sure what a chicken in pain looks like, but she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable. I have her seated now and have her legs in a good position under her and she appears to just be calmly setting - I've taken her outside into the grass to see if she could stand or walk, but she doesn't - so I brought her back in to her box - I'm just sick because she is such a pet, but even like this - poor little thing goes and lays her fifth egg in the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You can see she looks alert and her comb seems to be nice and healthy and this is the egg she laid just a few minutes ago - but she can't stand at all - her legs aren't sticking every which way now - but not sure if that is because I adjust her and move her so she can get to her water and food. I just hate to put her down with her looking so pretty and alert, but I feel terrible because I know she is sick. She was so tough to come through the first illness - but then she would at least try to stand even if she fell over - now she doesn't even try. I don't know whether to just keep her inside and keep hand feeding her and watering her and let nature decide or if we should put her down. I just don't know. I don't want her suffering but I just don't know what is the right thing for her. She's been such a tough girl. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

2. Katz5617

Katz5617 Chirping

Jul 21, 2014
    We've thought about it and talked about it - I honestly believe we could keep her alive. Her feathers are vibrant and shiny. Her eyes are bright and alert and her comb and waddle are a nice healthy shade and not shriveled. She alerts me when she needs to potty and I pick her up and take her out and hold her to a stand so she doesn't get it on her - even her poop is a nice healthy poop. She is eating and drinking and I help position her to lay - those are all things I told my husband and because those are all things I told my husband that I help her with it made me realize - she can't do any of those things unless I am there to help her. If I am gone or babysitting the grands or at the beach - there would be no one to help her. It wouldn't be fair to leave her wallowing in her poop or unable to get to her food and water or no one to take her outside to let her sit in the grass and forage with her beak. Yes, I could probably keep her alive but it would be no real life. We're going to take her to have her put down tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: