At a loss with death of ducklings help!

Klala

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
I finally have ducklings, yippee... 6were part-time incubated by my geese, final days in incubator. All of them are happy healthy pain in my but Minnows. The guppies first 11 starting hatch the 4th of July and next 11 by the weekend have been a fun happy experience, until the last 24/36 hrs (I've been sleep deprived sorry if I ramble or get mixed up.. what I'm trying to figure out is
#1 I have Durvet vitamins and electrolytes water soluble premix of vitamins and electrolytes for cattle horses goats sheep swine and poultry of all classes multi-species formula 8 oz powder package that's black red and yellow does anybody know the mix for 1 gallon.?
#2 I have lost four ducklings in the past 36 hours they seem pretty damn healthy and then they get the symptoms of having wry neck but they end up being paralyzed and in a coma in a way there is no leakage of fluids out the vents there's no shaking shivering fever it's just like a light bulb or a light switch I will be eating and drinking I will be holding them or they'll be comfortably contained and in a blank they will be in the state I have noticed that their area around their ear looks like it has been wet but dry and that is even onset in a blink I don't know if it's botulism (but does that cause wry neck?) I am not ruling that out because I did have grass in with their bedding to give them something to mess around with and it did get wet and I don't know if it could happen that quickly to infect and cause problems but there is no other signs of distress or anything on the body other than what looks like it was wet around their ear area neck but it isn't wet their cages are clean they are isolated I've got everybody isolated from each other that needs to be in my opinion and I am making sure the water's changed their feet is switched out the feed that I was giving them to a different container that I am they're getting a mixed feed I do know that I should be giving him the vitamins and electrolytes that's why I was asking what the mixture rate is but I'm rambling I'm just at a loss I've cried too much if you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it I don't know if pictures would even help because it's basically it just looks like by their ear got wet and dried funny. There's no color to it it's not red they're defecating isn't anything unusual they're eating and drinking they're not very lethargic there's a couple of them that are having a hard time walking but not really I suppose I should tell you what kind they are they are a cross between
Pekin mallard
Pekin Blue swedish
Mallard Blue swedish
mallard mallard.
A combo of sorts when the boys are 1 mallard and
1 Pekin and the girls are 1 mallard 1 blue swedish.

Attachments

• 16586184189519129028182142983525.jpg
    16586184189519129028182142983525.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 24
Did any specific gender die? Those are some cute ducklings!! I had the same problem and my duck (sadly) died. I heard that newborn ducklings mostly need nician? Try feeding them peas or something high in nician cause wry neck is a sign...

Are you giving them cold water to drink? If they swim or drink a lot of cold water, especially if they haven't had water in an hour, can shock their systems and they go into shock and die. They can also get low blood sugar if they do not have food constantly. If they have been without food, give them water with a little sugar dissolved in it. it may perk them up.

Are you giving them cold water to drink? If they swim or drink a lot of cold water, especially if they haven't had water in an hour, can shock their systems and they go into shock and die. They can also get low blood sugar if they do not have food constantly. If they have been without food, give them water with a little sugar dissolved in it. it may perk them up.
Are you giving them cold water to drink? If they swim or drink a lot of cold water, especially if they haven't had water in an hour, can shock their systems and they go into shock and die. They can also get low blood sugar if they do not have food constantly. If they have been without food, give them water with a little sugar dissolved in it. it may perk the
Did any specific gender die? Those are some cute ducklings!! I had the same problem and my duck (sadly) died. I heard that newborn ducklings mostly need nician? Try feeding them peas or something high in nician cause wry neck is a sign...
Not sure of gender, was going to do that soon so the neighbor girls can pick names for the girls I was going to keep. I did get the Durvet multi species vitamin and electrolytes 8oz bag, it's red yellow and black but wanted to double check the ratio for something more on gallon size..
I change water every 1/2 hr or so, my choice 2 containers per kennel not as messy always clean. Oh dis I mention the guppies are camping in large wire crate kennels in my living room and are actually very spoiled lol. They go out into a fenced/netted pen during the nice part of the day and come in at dusk.

The one thing I noticed is the area by ear looks wet but it isn't..
Does botulism have the wry neck symptoms?

Update. Haven't lost anymore, and none have shown signs of getting worse. (crossing everything, knocking on everything, praying to all that'll listen) I'm still at a loss what actually is wrong but thankful for no overnight losses.

Personal tip/opinion... If you do not know exactly what is in those electrolytes - do not feed it to baby ducks. They can survive just fine on regular water. Just ensure that they have niacin either in their food or in their water. (100-150mg per gallon in drinking water if it is not in their food) More is not better. They can be poisoned by it (per Holderreed).
Do not feed medicated chick feed either. Duck/waterfowl starter is best if you can get it.

It’s also possible you have a bacteria in the environment that some ducklings are more susceptible to. I lost a lot of ducklings to mycoplasma, finally had to sacrifice one (on vets advice, and it was euthanised at the vet, and would have died anyway) to get a necropsy and some answers. The necropsy showed typical mycoplasma gunk in the trachea and sinus that basically choked the duckling to death.

Now all my ducklings have 3 days prophylactic tylosin on days 1-3, again at 3-4 weeks and again at 7-8 weeks and I’ve not lost a single duckling to it since starting that regimen in consultation with my vet.

Before the cause was known, though I lost a number of ducklings every year for a few years, it definitely seemed like some were susceptible and some not - as within a clutch some would get it at under 2wks and they would always die no matter what treatment was tried , older ones would get it but recover with antibiotics and some just never got it no matter how much they were exposed.

Yours doesn’t sound like mycoplasma from the symptoms you describe, but maybe there is something bacterial, fungal or a virus at work which is taking out susceptible ducklings?

Back
Top Bottom