1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

at a loss

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anitaschicks, Apr 9, 2016.

1. anitaschicks

anitaschicks New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    I ordered BSL females and picked up these. They are now a month old and I think I got the wrong chicks. What do I have and are they Hens or Roos?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are either cuckoo Marans or barred Rocks. I can't make out the leg color. If they are white they are Marans and if yellow they are Rocks. They are pullets.

Black sex link pullet chicks are solid black, so you know the next time you order them.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Leg color looks white to me - am I correct? BR's males have YELLOW legs? BR females usually have a black wash down the front of legs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. anitaschicks

anitaschicks New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    I think three have white legs and one looks pale yellow. They might be cuckoo marans. My concern was roosters. The one with pale yellow legs has more white in the feathers. This Tuesday they will be 5 weeks.all have black was down front of legs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.

I am no expert by any means but they look just like my Cuckoo Marans when they were little. The one in the 2nd pic to the left of the watered had me thinking possible cockeral but one of mine had more white than the other, mostly around the neck, and turned out to be a pullet.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Agree they're all pullets. Probably cuckoo Marans.

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Pullets

8. anitaschicks

anitaschicks New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    [​IMG] white feet

9. Mr Beaks

Mr Beaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2015
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are pics of my Cuckoo Marans for comparison. Their legs are white with a black wash down the front although I don't remember what the legs looked like when they were younger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by