1. Bl Copper Maran

Bl Copper Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Please help, somebody. We hatched out three chicks about a month ago. One died this morning while I was not present. The other two are in a brooder, Phoenix the broody mama hen is showing no interest so she is not with them. They have a heat lamp. One chicks beak is chatering, has been all day. The chick that died did the same thing, but it's crop felt like it was full of water. We felt it and it felt bubbly, then we were not able to feel it again. I am worried that the same thing will happen to the others, and we don't want something spreading through our flock. Please help, we don't know what is happening. Nothing feels abnormal, everyone is eating drinking and pooping fine, but they stay fluffed up and don't right.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post a video of the chattering?

I don't see where you are located - what are your daytime temps like?
    At a month old, what temp is your brooder?
    Are they still inside or are you brooding outside?

They are fluffed up and huddling?

It could be ccoccidiosis. You may want to treat with Corid which can be found at your local feed store.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Let us know how they are doing.

3. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington

Thanks. They seemed to have stopped the chattering for now. Yes they are huddled and fluffed, but they have a heat lamp. We don't want to lose these birds. Babe, the one who is doing well is not fluffed up. Thistle the one who is not so good is fluffed up most of the day. I live in the Pacific Northwest. It has been warm lately, but the wind we have is making it kind of cold. There is another small meat hen in with them because she had a few problems that looked like the one that died. Thistle and Babe are trying to huddle up under her, but she is too small. They are in a brooder box that is inside, without the hen that sat the eggs and the hen who raised then till now. Neither hen shows any interest in the chicks so they are not in with the chicks. (Lefty sat the eggs till hatch then decided she didn't like motherhood so she killed one at hatching. She was trying to eat the shell off of the chicks before they hatched. I opened her door and Pheonix jumped up and sat right down on those eggs and hatched them. Up until yesterday she was doing great)
    We don't know what else to do. We will be heading to the feed store to get electrolytes cocci treatment vitamins and sulfimite. Will keep you updated.

4. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would treat for cocci, give them the Corid.

I'm not sure what sulfimite is?

Make sure the corid solution is the only water they drink for 5-7days.

After treatment, then give the vitamins.

Some symptoms of cocci is weakness/lethargy, not eating, diarrhea with mucus or blood, loss of balance, and puffed up appearance (huddling).

5. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Ok, we are treating our whole flock for cocci. Thanks very much!!! Thistle is improving, she ran a few steps and even dust bathed, a huge improvement!!!

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Glad to hear about improvements[​IMG]

Keep us posted.

7. Bl Copper Maran

Nov 11, 2015
    Washington
    Well despite all of our best efforts, Thistle didn't make it. She passed peacefully in her sleep. Babe in the other hand is now a healthy little rooster!! The only evidence of him being sick is that he breathes heavy. Thank you for all of your help, you may have saved my little roosters life [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by