At a loss...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lifeoffaith, Aug 25, 2014.

1. lifeoffaith

lifeoffaith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    I have been losing birds regularly off and on all summer. I think the first batch were because they didn't figure out the new watering system. We went back to the old system and the deaths slowed WAY down. Then we had some meat chicks in with some egg chicks and they were so much bigger, I think they just bullied them to death. We got them split up and eventually put all of them minus the meat chickens into the coop. There was some size difference, but I didn't think enough to be an issue. We would then only lose a couple here and a couple there, and I thought maybe it was the size difference, but we didn't see anything visibly wrong with the chickens. Most of the birds that were dying were the smallest ones. Now I've lost 4 chickens in just a few days, and I have no idea why. 2 of the 4 were the largest ones I have. Now all the birds but one are larger birds. I'm really getting sick of dead chickens, but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Having chickens of differing ages together may make diseases such as coccidiosis very opportunistic. The younger ones can get it from the older ones. Corid or amprollium is the treatment. Symptoms of coccidisois are lethargy, standing puffed up, diarrhea (sometimes with blood, but not always,) poor appetite, and ruffled feathers. Providing good ventilation, dry conditions, and clean shavings can help. But I would run a course of Corid for the ones left, and make it their only water source.

3. lifeoffaith

Apr 30, 2014
    None of those symptoms fit. Any other thoughts?

4. lifeoffaith

Apr 30, 2014
    Is there a medicated feed I could use, or is it a medicine I add to the water, or...

Sorry, new to this whole thing.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It won't hurt them to treat with Corid (amprollium) in the water for 5 days. It's not an antibiotic, and it is the same ingredient in medicated chick starter to prevent coccidiosis. Since you are experiencing deaths, you should treat for an out break. The dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water, as their only source of water, for 5-7 days.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by