At last......no more soaking hay :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jacyjones, Nov 18, 2008.

1. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    My horse is kept in a turnout when the weather is wet and this year have we had wet weather!!
    The last batch of hay we had delivered was so poor it made my horse cough. the summer was so bad there was no sun to dry the hay! I have to soak it so that the spores stick to it and are eaten. this has worked, no more cough, but it is such hard work and I get very wet!! The hay nets are so heavy when the hay is soaked that I really struggle to lift, carry and tie them up!!
    Thank goodness - we went to a new supplier on sunday and he has the sweetest, loveliest hay and will deliver 50 bales next weekend. It costs the same as the rubbish I have now and the horse will love it. I will love it too - no more water and heaving around the horrible stuff!!
    [​IMG]

2. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Hi Jacy,

Yes we did have a wet summer didn't we?

Glad you go that sorted, sweet hay will be so welcome...lol... plus it would not have been much fun getting wet right through winter. I hated this when I had to be up at the crack of dawn and out feeding ponies in lousy weather.

Good for you.

Jena.

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    That's great. I remember having to soak hay in the winter at the university. It was not at all fun.

4. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Yes - I was dreading the weather getting any colder. My hands are so red when I come back in now. And I am going through so much handcream!!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Ah, there is nothing better than a fresh new delivery of quality hay! The last batch we got smelled so good I wanted to eat some of it myself! [​IMG]

6. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Have you seen the Arctic blast heading our way on the weekend. Thank God you have the hay. Wales is going to get a cold brush it seems.

Stay warm and spend you time getting your hands back in shape, I know exactly what they feel like when it is cold and chapping.

I am dreading the cold snap myself and I only have the chickens to worry about, and they are about 6 yards down the garden.

Jena.

7. jacyjones

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:In a way I prefer really cold weather to the stuff we seem to have had for so long. Damp and revolting. Our soil is clay so will not hold the horse in any wet weather. She has hardly been on the field this summer and I feel really bad that she is in her turnout so much. At least if it is really cold the ground will hold her and the chickens don't mind it. They hate snow but as we are quite near the coast we hardly get any!!
    Wrap up warm and we will get through it!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    We just got our hay delivered yesterday, in the *nick* of time. Nuthin' but snow cover forecast until, like, March [​IMG] and the grass had pretty much pooped out by now anyway.

Unfortunately it is horrendously wet here and we never did get the barn driveway regraveled last summer so the hay guy made giant ruts with his tractor, ferrying each bale to the barn (we get 700 lb big squares but don't own a tractor, so he puts it in the barn driveway onto a dolly for us and we wheel it along and tip it off onto pallets, which works surprisingly well).

It's not great hay (not moldy, just not great hay) because it was such a very lousy summer for baling hay around here, but the horses will survive, albeit possibly with a bit of supplementation.

And I am *so* glad to have it in the barn. Finally. Man, I hate buggin' the hay guy but next year he's GOT to get his act in order earlier in the year than this...

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by