At Last! OUR FIRST EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Herself, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    We got our first egg today!! One of the girls laid an egg on the roost. (Now to train them to use the nest.) The egg had frozen & cracked, but it still it very exciting. I think I'll go put one of my antique glass eggs in the nest to encourage them. I didn't expect them to start laying yet because its so cold.

It has been a long wait! The first six BR chicks I purchased at the Chicken Swap this spring turned out to be 6 roosters that I had to re-home. Then I got six assorted breeds 4 week chicks from a woman that got them from the hatchery as sexed chicks. I lost two of these - one just a week or so ago from sour crop.

Herself
    2 Partridge Rocks, 1 Gold laced Wynadotte, 1 Buff Op. & Seamus Liam, the world's most wonderful Westie!

2. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Congrats! but sorry it was broken. [​IMG] Hopefully she'll use the nest next time. My EE laid out in the open run the first time and the nest ever since. I think the 1st time might take them by surprize. [​IMG]

3. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    congrats [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Frozen? Wow! Still exciting! [​IMG]

5. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010