At least 8wks, supposed to be cochins...now I have no idea...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by augustmomx2, Nov 2, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I have posted these guys before and as they get older, I just get more and more confused [​IMG] Originally, I had bought 5 Bantam "Golden-Laced" Cochins. They were supposedly from the same clutch, shown parents, blah, blah...

Now 8 weeks later (they were all 2-3 days old at time of purchase, supposedly). I only have 3 left (2 others were smothered by the ginormous chick, we think) and here are the results...they obviously are not from the same clutch and I have no idea what I have now (I took their pics near the plastic cup to give some reference to size):

Mille Fleur, golden-laced cochin?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The obvious non-cochin, I battle pasty-butt still, 8wks later & also has a terrible over-beak...wyandotte or rock?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is unknown, its not growing, the feathering is minimal (8wks later) and wacky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas? I know I received ill chicks, last time I buy off of Craigslist [​IMG] Oh well lesson learned...any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
  3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

they obviously are not from the same clutch and I have no idea what I have now

They're clearly not "gold laced" anything. They look like a few jolly cross breeds. Hopefully "Craig's List" birds are not costly. [​IMG]

4. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    My guesses, if I were guessing purebreds would be....

Mille Fleur Cochin
    Partridge Rock
    Frizzle Cochin

However, I'm more inclined to believe like Krys that you got some crosses here. The person who sold them had a purebred cochin...and something Partridge or Mille Fleur in coloring. Probably a Black Cochin I'm guessing looking at the last bird. They could actually be multiple mixes from different parents. It's the only way to explain the frizzle in the last one?

Good luck, take pictures as they grow I'd like to see how they feather out!

Laney

5. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Sorry for the wrong folder everyone [​IMG] That's what I get for attempting to post something too close to my bedtime! Thanks for the info everyone, and I'll update once they begin to fully-feather out [​IMG]

6. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    The drizzles looks like it could be a golden laced Cochin but the other two I really couldn't tell you????????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by