At loss for words!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kwebb, Apr 3, 2018.

1. kwebb

kwebb Chirping

Mar 18, 2018
    Texas
    My 5 year old son likes seeing the baby chicks. We have 4 of them. Well today my wife calls me and turns out my 5 year old woke up early this morning and went to see the chicks. He drowned one of the chicks in the water. He’s torn, I’m torn. Kind of in shock bc I did not think he would do that or would know better but he said he was trying to give the 3 week old a drink of water. Do I get another one or just have 3 to learn from the lesson? He won’t be allowed to be around them by his self anymore.

2. if u want more get 2 more other wise dont get any......... wow just wow

3. funny, your "kwebb" i am elizabeth webb and a have a sibling named kaden webb so you have his initial lol

4. jammersgirl

jammersgirl In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2018
    I would get a couple more. I think he probably learned his lesson. Sorry for your loss. That is sad.

5. haileyeverhart

haileyeverhart Songster

Sep 21, 2014
    Illinois
    So sorry. Kids do weird things but definitely learn from their mistakes, it's part of growing up. Get some more and remind him why what he did was bad.

FeatherstoneFrm likes this.
  6. poor little chick RIP

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    At five years of age your son doesn't really understand the concept of death. Chicks are fragile and must be supervised carefully around young children. Most kids hang on too tight to chicks and crush them. So live and learn. If you want to buy more, buy more. But make sure the kids have an adult with them when they handle the chicks.

8. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    I wouldn't get more. 3 is enough to get by. Let him learn from his actions.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My GD was not allowed to handle the chicks at all b/c she had butter fingers. Children have a hard time gauging how much tension to have in their hands to properly restrain a chick without squeezing too hard. As OP found out, kids should not be left alone with animals. I've seen kids of all ages "teasing" the chickens to see what kind of reaction they would get.

So sorry this happened. It is entirely up to the parent whether she replaces the lost bird. If it does get replaced, get 2. If there is not enough coop space (at least 4 s.f./bird) or run space (2 s.f./bird) do not replace it.

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X2
    He will not learn any more from you not getting more chicks than he would should you decide to get more.....he has learned what he is going to learn already

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: