At my wit's end! Chicken's mouth won't heal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tmatthews, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Tmatthews

Tmatthews Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    Several weeks ago I posted about my chicken having a yellow mass in her mouth. I treated it with iodine and vetericyn. For a few weeks now I've had her separated from the flock, I've given her Tylan 50 for her cough....which is much better, and I have been able to remove the mass in her mouth. It came right off with no bleeding. But now after a week, her mouth is still sore, it's bleeding a bit and she still has a hard time getting anything to go down her throat because she can't hold it right with her tongue off to the side and her beak is a little misshaped from this mass that's been on her for a couple of months now. She has a great appetite and eats as much as she can. But she is very skinny!! She has not gotten any worse nor better. I think the problem hindering her from gaining weight is that she just can't eat like she used to!

Is there any general antibiotic I can administer or put on her mouth to get this healed up?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be canker. Metronidazole or flagyl, give one 250mg tablet orally once a day for 5 days.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Tmatthews

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    Yep....you are right! I forgot to mention I bought an antibiotic from a website suggested on here for canker that is called a 4 in 1 powder. But it did nothing! So I thought maybe it wasn't canker. But I will check out that site you mentioned eggcessive! Thanks!

5. Tmatthews

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    And thank you both Dawg53 and Eggcessive!! Like I said....I tried to treat her for canker but obviously didn't get the right stuff. I have some FishZole on its way! Didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't listening to earlier advice. [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Canker can be hard to treat. It is contagious to the rest of the flock from waterers and feeders. Dawg53 has posted about using acidified copper sulfate in the water 3 days each month to prevent the disease in the rest of the flock. The dose is 1/4 teaspoonful per gallon of water. If you don't see improvement after the fishzole, I would consult your vet. Look inside the beak and throat for any tissue blocking the airway--it may need to be removed. Here's a link for the ACS: http://www.jefferspet.com/acidified-copper-sulfate/camid/liv/cp/AB-A1/

7. Tmatthews

Jul 17, 2009
    Cadiz
    Thank you eggcessive! I really appreciate your advice!!! I'll check into that link and if she doesn't improve with these suggestions I'll contact the vet. But thanks again!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by