At my wits end

boltonsue

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2019
Wilmot Wisconsin
So we got chickens April 23rd. 2019. We got 14 hens and one rooster. My husband built a beautiful chicken coop 300 square feet and a 100 by 10 foot run. I completely fell in love. They run to me every morning for cuddles and jump up on my back and are very friendly. Our problem started with my ladies picking on my rooster (Mr. Big) Big for short. Big was a lover never a fighter. He was just a beautiful boy and I loved him with all my heart. It got so bad we had to buy a large dog crate and put him in to heal. Make a long story short after healing and putting him back in of course it started all over again. I sobbed like a baby as I held him for the last time before giving him to my husband to take away his suffering. That was in November and I still cry (I am right now) every single week when I picture my Big boy lumbering around. Now the ladies have turned on each other. I’ve tried everything!! My husband built five perches, a swing, lettuce teather ball, treat balls, pie tins, mirrors etc., etc., etc.!!! I’ve sprayed blue Kote we’ve put peerless peepers on them NOTHING!!! NOTHING will stop it. Once again I’ve spent every day/night crying researching I just don’t know what to do. I should mention we were free ranging until a Fox got ahold of a couple in the fall. We’re in a very rural area and surrounded by Fox and coyotes not to mention hawks! So we’ve decided to let them back out to free range. I figured they either kill each other or another animal does. It’s like watching your babies get slowly tortured to death. I’ve told my husband if it doesn’t get better he’s going to have to kill them all and we’ll just have to give up as my heart can’t take the hurt. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I’m at my wits end and completely heartbroken!

300 sqft run is small for 14 chickens. I have a 400 sqft run for 7 chickens and that’s barely enough. Fighting and pecking can be due to the small space. If you only have that much space maybe only keep like 5 or 6 total.

Sorry to hear about your rooster!

You don't say what breeds you have. Some have a reputation for being more aggressive than others & some breeds do better in confinement than others. On top I would add as much litter as possible to your run ~ weeds, leaf litter, straw, hay ~ whatever you would normally put in compost as your girls will enjoy foraging through it. The deeper the better. I do think lack of space is probably your biggest problem. Perhaps bantams next time? And yes, 300'2 is a lot but some girls really, really need a lot of room.

Sorry to hear about your rooster (well, cockerel... which is probably part of the issue. He wasn't mature yet and not taking charge of the flock).

Just to make sure I understand correctly: the run is 100' x 10' (so 1000 sq ft total). Do you have photos of your set up, both coop outside/inside and run?

Also while you mention adding things to the run, I don't see any larger items. Just food and perches. You need clutter, especially with 1000 sq ft you could fit a lot. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Also curious about breeds as well, plus what you're feeding them.

Im curious about breeds too.
Im also curious about how old these birds were when you got them.
so the chickens were brand new when we brought them home April 23. As far as breed we ordered a dozens Easter eggers so they are mixed. The only thing we can think of is they’re different so maybe that’s it? But we know sooooooo many people that have mixed. Out of the 13 ( my husband had to take out one of main culprits yesterday) I think there’s one that doesn’t have any wounds. It’s all of them though I’ve seen ALL of them picking on one another.

so the chickens were brand new when we brought them home April 23. As far as breed we ordered a dozens Easter eggers so they are mixed. The only thing we can think of is they’re different so maybe that’s it? But we know sooooooo many people that have mixed. Out of the 13 ( my husband had to take out one of main culprits yesterday) I think there’s one that doesn’t have any wounds. It’s all of them though I’ve seen ALL of them picking on one another.
I’m sorry I saw a question on food. We feed them DuMor layer but I need to add I’ve tried every every expensive non GMO natural feed on the market. We also give the them mealworms (from USA all organic sustainably farmed in Oregon) in the afternoon. Sometimes we throw out a little scratch (again all organic USA products) along with a small pie tin of oyster shells.

Some people have good luck with Easter eggers all mine have been premeditated jerkwads.
They can be wishy washy.

Back
Top Bottom