At my wits end!!!

silkypie

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
Plant City, FL
I am so frustrated with my 3 barred rocks!!!
he.gif

My neighbor gave me 3 older chickens that he couldn't care for. My younger 3 barred rocks ATTACKED one of them today. She jumped on her back and started pulling feathers off.

I hate to say this but I HATE THESE BARRED ROCKS!!!!
hide.gif

I don't know what to do for them.
idunno.gif
I am on the verge of having them for dinner if they don't shape up now.

Please help!!!
bow.gif

How long ago did you get them and when did you put them together? And did they see eachother through the fence for a few days first? Or did they just go in together right away?

Some chickens need to "see" the newcomers for a few days first. I do this by putting up a make shift kennel/run for the new girls. They may try to fight through the fence but no one can get hurt. Then when they do go together, it seems to go by more easily.

Otherwise, maybe you could try craigslist if you really don't think that they will work.

P.s. My BR is not that nice either. She's kinda bossy and snotty to the others.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. I read they are good chickens but I don't know how I got 3 rotten eggs. They peck me all the time!!

I had an open wound on my leg the other day and one of them pecked it.. needless to say it hurt like HECK....

hit.gif

Quote:
I got the Rocks when they were still little chicks, maybe a week old.

Their cages are right next to each other and they have been stairing at each other for weeks before I let them "play" together.

sad.png

Quote:
Thanks. I read they are good chickens but I don't know how I got 3 rotten eggs. They peck me all the time!!

I had an open wound on my leg the other day and one of them pecked it.. needless to say it hurt like HECK....

hit.gif

Sorry they are so not nice. Maybe you SHOULD just try craigslist.
hugs.gif

Did you slowly introduce them? i.e. have seperate quarters where they could still see each other but not fight? I've not introduced birds to my (young) flock yet, but the advice I've seen here on BYC includes a quarentine period, then a slow introduction...

I'm sure you could find some sound advise from more experienced folks by searching for 'integrating flocks' or 'introducing new hens' or something.

Good luck!

edit: I'm a slow typist :p

FWIW, my BR is the alpha hen in our flock of three - she even bossed around our two cockrels before we rehomed them. She has gotten more friendly lately (is squatting, etc) so I'm hoping she continues to get friendlier once she starts laying...

Last edited:
Quote:

hit.gif

Sorry they are so not nice. Maybe you SHOULD just try craigslist.
hugs.gif

Thank you for the hugs. I need it!

Back
Top Bottom