at my wits end

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by motsiwel, Dec 17, 2014.

1. motsiwel

motsiwel New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    It is 4:40am and my two female pekings have woken me and i assume most of the neighborhood, yet again. It was fine when it was just before 8am, but now for no apparent reason, they have deciced that 4:30 is the best time to have a party!
    I have read that they are creatures of habit, but is there a way to change their habit extremely quickly before the neighbors complain?

Thank you in advance!
    Tom

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sorry for the circumstances. Is there any possibility that a predator is attempting to get at them?

3. Crazy4Fowl

Crazy4Fowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I recommend waking up around 4:00 and see if a predator is trying to attack them. Or put a camera on the coop. If they keep doing it I recommending rehoming them :(. How old are they?

4. motsiwel

motsiwel New Egg

Dec 17, 2014

There is a very slight chance of a predator. I live in suburban sydney, so there may be a fox but it is highly unlikely.

By rehoming them, do you mean moving their coop (I was considering that) or finding someone to take them?
    They're about six months old, i have a 3 year old female muscovy as well, but she barely makes a sound.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Generally with my Runners there is something there. A game camera might help. Be sure they are secure. Are they completely enclosed?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  6. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    Muscovies don't quack which is why she is quiet. You can try moving their coop. But when I said rehome I meant give them to someone.

7. motsiwel

motsiwel New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Yes, its definitely enclosed. I am however going to be building a new house for them im a different location, as we're getting more chooks soon. (Super excite!)
    I'll have to look into a game camera, i dont suspect they're easy to find in australia, probably need to go online for it.

Oh i knew about muscovies no quacking, but she (gloria) does make her squaking noise when she is upset, which is why i don't think its a predator as she stays quiet and just lets the pekings (peppa and george) do the shouting.
    I really hope it doesn't come down to rehoming my lovelies! But if its necessary i guess it will have to happen.
    Thank you so much for your advice! It is greatly appreciated.

8. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I hope you don't have to rehome them, but you gotta do what you gotta do

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Is it possible that they are seeing something? I'm thinking a perdator as well, even though they are safe it could be spooking them. I don't know how your coop is set up but maybe try a radio or something out there on low for a few nights and see if the noise keeps whatever it was away or keeps the ducks from spooking. I also think a game camera would be a good idea, or if you have the time you can to a stake out. A motion sensor light would also be an option to turn on when something comes in your yard near them.

10. Crazy4Fowl

Nov 20, 2014
    My duck coop
    I agree. I already said that same thing about the camera and a stake out. But I guess your just agreeing with me not acting like you came up with it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by