1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

At Odds with Township in Michigan

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by frjeff, Jan 3, 2011.

1. frjeff

frjeff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2011
    Northern Michigan
    Have just under an acre with significant distance between any neighbors.
    Zoned residential - single family.
    Township is AuSable (Oscoda, MI)

Was hoping to have 4-6 hens for laying in order to provide our egg needs and sell some for profit.

However, Township Supervisor tells me that local twp. ordinances prohibit me from such activity because they forbid all "livestock" and consider chickens to be "livestock."

What a joke!

What can I do to get this changed or change their mind?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    As long as you have commercial intent (selling the eggs), you are protected by your state's Right to Farm Act. There is an extensive thread on this, already. I suggest reading it in its entirety [​IMG]

3. jason_boivin

jason_boivin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    Newport News, VA
    Quote:Meaning put out a sign "Eggs for sale. $20.00 a dozen." Dont have to sell just have the intention of it. and the right to farm act will cover you.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Please don't forget that you must also adhere to the GAAMPS to be protected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by