At risk of rats?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moody-chicken, Mar 10, 2013.

1. moody-chicken

moody-chicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2013
    I have a wooden coop house in an open run area. The coop hen house sits on a concrete base. The coop is raised a few cm off the concrete floor on small legs. I lock the chooks in the coop house at night and let them out in the morning. Their run is open air, half concrete half soil with trees and bushes one side, fencing at the back, greenhouse at the the other side and netting at the front. I have stopped throwing chicken feed in the run since learning about rats. They do however have straw on the concrete part of the run. If I remove their food tray when I lock them up at night so there's no food will I likely be safe from a rat problem? I want to do all I can to prevent rats. Will the coop be safe at night or will they chew their way in to get to the chooks? Not sure how 'secure' things need to be but building an enclosed run isn't something we can do. I was thinking though that might be better as less shelter for them up seek. Any advice welcome. Thanks!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If they can get food, their family will grow. So not letting them find any food is a good thing. I cover my feed bowls at night. I also put out some rat traps now and then just to see if I catch something. And my bait station is working , as well. You may not be rat free forever, but you can starve them out or poison them or snap their little necks. Or all 3 like me!

3. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    Ok thanks ill keep food off the floor and lock the girls in at night. I hope that will be enough!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I usually spot rat activity by their poops. I'm always on the lookout for it. In the coop, if I find it, it's usually along the sides of the walls.

5. moody-chicken

Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for the tip! Im going to be vigilant as its not just the threat to my girls but salmonella for my family too! Scary!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by