At ten days old, what treats can my little peeps enjoy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kelly G, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

They get their medicated chick starter...but I want to give them a yummy treat...but I'm not really in to catching bugs for them [​IMG] Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I give my chicks sunflower seeds shelled of coures. Peeled peices of apples and cucumbers. dried bread unsweetened trail mix such as nuts raisians and stuff. I dont give these all the time every now and then and only as treats never as there main sourse of food.

3. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Plain yogurt! It is good for them and once they get the hang of it they go gagga for it.

4. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I wonder if I can feed them the smaller bits of my hamster's food? It's mainly seeds and nuts and such....Hmmm never thought about that. They might really enjoy it!

~Caran

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Broken bread pieces. I buy the 12 grain variety at the bread thrift store and all my chickens love it. Scrambled eggs is a favorite with the babies. I always try for high protein treats to make up for what they may not be getting from the feed. Most feeds don't have animal protein anymore and I feel the birds need it. Black Oil sunflower seeds are great but they are a bit much for the 10 day olds. Make sure they have grit available when giving any treats.

6. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Does grit have to be given for ANY kind of treat. I'm having a hard time finding grit suitable for chicks, are there any treats they can have w/o grit?[​IMG]

7. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I think you could probably just put a little bowl of sand out for them to use as grit--it doesn't have to be something yo buy at the store. My birds all pick up bits of dirt and rocks when they are running around their run. I don't think you need grit for yogurt.

8. sandymart

sandymart Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    New York
    How old do they have to be before you can give them garden veggies??? Do they need grit to eat veggies?

I am new here and my babies are arriving in the next day or so. [​IMG]

9. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:my babies have been snacking on sweet corn and blueberries from our garden for the last week and they're just two weeks old. i know a lot of people are against treats until they're older, but they wouldn't only be eating starter if they were with mama hen, so i'm not coddling them. well, i'm coddling them, but not by treating them like they aren't chickens! [​IMG]

i made sure they had access to grit as soon as i started offering things other than starter.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Give grit with any treats besides yogurt, to be on the safe side. If you have kids, think back to when they were small. You gave the easier to digest foods first, right?
    When my chicks were small I bought them grit in the pet bird section at walmart. Now they pick up all they need in our gravel driveway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by