At the end of my rope with wandering chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by my first peepers, Aug 27, 2008.

1. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    I have 5 3 month old EEs. When we are home, which is a lot, they free range on our one acre. There is plenty of yard, shade, brush and even 1/2 the garden that we are done with but for some reason they keep going to the one corner that borders the street and unfirendly neighbor's yard! Out of all the places they could hang out, they choose the one place I don't want them to be! We are starting a fence this weekend but in the mean time is there anything I can do to deter them from that corner, other than locking them up?

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Chickens will generally avoid anything new or anything they view as a possible threat.

Don't laugh but here is what I do to keep the hens out of the garden. I let them range the yard about an hour and half each evening.

For some reason the are SCARED TO DEATH of empty feed sacks, don't know why but they even freak when they see me carrying the bags from the car to the coop.

I strung a rope from one end of the garden to the other and hang empty feed bags using clothespins to the rope. They avoid the garden completely. The bags are easy to take down when need be.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    Do you put water out for them? If so, you could move your waterers to the opposite part of your property. There must be something different about that corner that they like. Or maybe something in the other part of your yard they don't like.

4. my first peepers

my first peepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    The water and food stay in the coop/run area which is at the opposite side of the yard![​IMG] I think they like it because it makes me pay more attention to them![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by