At the fair

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by k625, Oct 21, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Hey everyone....I was at my local fair this weekend, and I am pretty new to chickens, so I wanted to ask a question about the chicks there. They had a whole box of mixed chicks and ducks from Ideal. Alot of them were what I would call "normal" size chicks, and then there were these tiny tiny tiny little ones. The lady said they were just bantams of some sort, but I had bantams (silkies) and they were never that small. I mean these things were so small you could almost put them in one hand and cover them by making fist!! What are these little things???

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    My baby OEGB's are that small. They were probably day olds shipped in.

3. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Could they be anything else? I was checking out Ideals site where they came from and Ideal is sold out of OEGB, they just seemed so small campared to the adult version of what they would be.

4. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Bantams are very small when they hatch.
    Mine are about as tall as a D battery.

5. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    YEs they could be a lot of things. They still could be OEG but all males. I now have Silkies and compared to many other breeds of bantams they seem larger than most. I would put them on the same size line as cochins and wyandottes.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  6. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    There are lots of bantam breeds and most are smaller than silkies. They may have gotten the Ideal mixed bantam deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by