At the grocery store

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by curliet, Dec 12, 2008.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    This morning I had to return to the store for some things. Hate when that happens, it's best to plan ahead, right? [​IMG] But, with only Rick and I here and me being lactose intolerant, we can keep a gallon of milk for a long time. Unless of course, we have a visit from one of our grandkids. [​IMG] DGD was here Tuesday, right after I had shopped and had said to myself, "No, don't need milk, have almost a whole gallon in the fridge." First it was cookies and milk (with papa) after school, and then milk at dinner time, and then cereal for a snack later (with papa). So, anyway, there I was, at the store.

The produce guy just happened to be there so I asked him, "Do you ever have trimmings from the greens or veggies too bad to sell but yet still not rotten? I have chickens that just don't get enough green stuff at this time of the year, and if I could get some things from you it sure would help." He started to chuckle, and I knew something was up. "I have chickens too", he almost whispered. I take a lot of things home for them, but if you stop back in the produce dept whenever you stop in I'll try to share with you." I asked him why he was whispering and he told me that he lives in town (not the same city I'm in, but not far away), and isn't supposed to have chickens there. Then I said, "Me too" and we both started to laugh.

He has Polish, and Silkies, and had never heard of BYC. He has now, and I won't be surprised if he joins us soon. [​IMG]

2. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    very cute. [​IMG]
    i used to get the corn husks from the grocery store, for my horses. some people shuck them at the store and fill garbage bags full. i should ask for other things. i went to high school with the manager so he let me slide, but he said they rather throw it out then have a liability.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Aren't we just a bunch of conspirators here? I have 17 and I am only supposed to have 5.....

4. Possumpoint

Possumpoint Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    I asked for the old produce at our local store and was told that they have to ship it back to the warehouse. I thought that was weird, but I bet the produce guy is taking it home himself for his critters. Can't blame him if he is.

5. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Don't you love it when something like that happens? Another chicken-based friendship is born.... or should I say hatched?

6. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    OH wow - I got this vision of furtive conversations about semi-rotted cabbages.... Quick smiles as chicken photos emerge from inside coat pockets and rest on the potato sacks.... Meaningful glances across the pumpkins....

7. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Chicken Salad, that is really funny!!!! He was asking about my chickens, and saying, "Hey, now I have someone to trade with when spring comes!" It is a new chicken friendship, hahah. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    T, you crack me up! [​IMG]

9. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    How do you go about asking ? I'm kinda shy . Also we are only allowed to have 4 I have 14 [​IMG] I have no idea how that happend. I highly doubt anyone knows how many we have, although neighbors know we have some chickens because several have held their kids over the fence to look at them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    A couple months ago when in the produce section of Wally World, I asked one of the produce people if they had any outdated or bad but not rotten veggies as I had chickens? I was told they are not allowed to sell (I offered to pay for them) or give away outdated food of any kind. "It must be thrown away, even the meats from the deli"!!! They are afraid of a lawsuit if someone eats it and gets sick! [​IMG] Talk about waste!! I even asked if I could sign something to release them from any fault..it was for my chickens for Pete's Sake!! [​IMG] With all the starving people in the world ...now I know why they ransack the dumpsters. All I wanted was some veggies for my chickens! Sad state of affairs isn't it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by